Thread: Disc Cloning in MAC

Disc Cloning in MAC

Hi,
    What are the options available in Snow Leopard for Disc Cloning. I did not have a burning software and for urgent I have to create backup of some data. I have already some DVD's. Anyhow I had managed a laptop for that. But the issue is that it has Snow Leopard. And there is no particular software like Toast or Nero. How to burn a disc in that.

Re: Disc Cloning in MAC

Even if you have does have a proper burning software like Toast or Nero then also you can burn your disc. You can simply make a copy of a CD or DVD with an inbuilt burning application in Disk Utility that comes with MAC OS X. It is located in the Utilities column of MAC and quiet an easy to use. Just a disc cloning is allowed here.

The problem of this in built utility is that it is more complex than what the method offered Toast. In Toast you just click a button and your disc is created. I am also not too sure about the quality of the disc which is created in this service. Your CD will be copied in any way identical to the original. But that you can then check out later on.

If you want to create a bootable disc in MAC without any software support then you can do that also via Disk Utility. But this is only to make CD / DVD backup of your data / personal files. This method does not work with audio CDsand commercial DVDs. Insert the first CD / DVD that you want to copy into your CD. The icon for the CD / DVD appears on the desktop. Run Disk Utility. Then select the left icon for your CD / DVD. After that go into the menu file / New / disk image xxxx name of your CD. Just follow the wizard.

Yes you can name your disc and create a copy of a CD or DVD. But the functions are very minimal here. When you burn a disc then in Format picture choose DVD / CD Master and set the option none for Encryption. Click Save and thus your disc burning will begun. If you want to create a disc image file then choose the Save as option and then you can find a .cdr file.

To burn a image file go to Disk Utility and then in the menu choose Images > Burn. Just click on the burn button and then insert a disc. You can also modify some settings like for example speed engraving, check it and perform operations after burning: Eject or mount the drive the desktop. For a CD copy, it is unnecessary to check the box Allow other prints on the disc, since you probably do not want to burn another session on that same drive.