Thread: Can i restrict editing of documents in Word 2007

Can i restrict editing of documents in Word 2007

I am using Microsoft Office 2007 on my Windows 7 computer. I have a word document that i have prepared in 3 days with lots of efforts and it has to be reviewed by many people. They have to leave their comments on that document but i don't want it to be edited by anyone. I mean, i can make it read only but by doing so no one can comment on that as well, right ? So is there anyway to just restrict editing of documents in Word 2007 ? If yes, please let me know. Thanks.

Re: Can i restrict editing of documents in Word 2007

Fortunately there is an option in Word 2007 that you need. To restrict editing of documents in Word 2007, click on the Review tab from the menu and select the Protect button Document Protection group. Here you need to click on "Restrict Formatting and Editing" and you will see some options enabled in the bar side. The 2nd element you will see is the list of editing restrictions. Just mark the check box infront of Enable only this type of editing in the document. Now select the comments of the list. The next step is the implementation of protection and clicking the button, start the implementation of protection in the below. can also selectively give full permission for the document based on user name in the exceptional menu. Once you click the button, it asks to enter the password protection. Just enter your password and click ok. That is it.

To protect a document follow these simple steps:
    1. Tools / Options / Security
    2. Click Protect Document
    3. Select a password to confirm and press OK.
    4. When we open the document will see all the bars disabled editing, formatting ...
    5. To re-edit the document we can write the password correctly.

You get the following options while restricting the documents:-
    1. Constraints format: You can restrict the format to be selected styles.
    2. Editing restrictions: It gives us options allow comments, fill out forms and not allow modifying the document, so (read only).
    3. Start enforcement: To apply all previous changes to the document.

Re: Signature in Word 2007

Hey mates, thanks for sharing this useful info. I was also in search of this since long time. Finally got here today. One more thing i wanted to know and hope you guys can help me out. I have seen Digital signature in many documents that i get on my mail. Do you guys know how to add a digital signature in Word 2007 ? Help appreciated.

Add a digital signature in Microsoft Office Word 2007

Digital signatures can help ensure that the file you will use comes from a reliable source and has not been falsified. To add a digital signature in Microsoft Office Word 2007, follow these steps:
    • Click the Microsoft Office Button, point to Prepare, and then click Add a Digital Signature.
    • If you want to explain your purpose of signing the document, type the information in the box under Purpose for signing this document in the dialog signature.
    • Click Login.

A digital signature contains both a public certificate and the value of the signed data as encrypted by a private key. The value is a number that generates an encryption algorithm for data that you want to connect. This algorithm makes it almost impossible to change the data without changing the value obtained. Therefore, by encrypting the value instead of data, a digital signature allows a user to verify that data has not changed. You can view and edit Word documents signed when you use a digital signature. However, you can not modify and then save a signed document without invalidating the signature. For example, you can sign a file and other users can view the file. While the file is signed, other users will know that the file from you and has not changed.