Thread: How to open winmail.dat attachments in Outlook

How to open winmail.dat attachments in Outlook

Hi,

I have receive an file named winmail.dat in my attachment. I have this file with one of my excel file. I want to know whether it is a virus ?? What is winmail.dat ??? If it not a virus then how should I open winmail.dat attachments in Outlook??? Can someone explain me in detail ???? I have a windows Xp pc.

Re: How to open winmail.dat attachments in Outlook

Is a known issue in Outlook for Windows, often in conjunction with an Exchange server. Microsoft categorically refuses to do something about it, unfortunately. There are 2 options:

- You have 2 times as many attachments as you have to have half of which is winmail.dat. Ignore the winmail.dat 's, and just open your attachments.

- Your attachment called winmail.dat. In this case you can 't rename the extension that it should have, then it works file.

As some Outlooks are configured to send mail instead of plain text or HTML format RTF (Rich Text Format), Rich Text Format Microsoft.
    This format is compatible with Outlook 2003 / 2007 but not with other email clients.

Solution:

Very simple, just set up a small option in outlook. The option is: Within the Tools menu in Outlook 2003 / 2007 you have to click where it says "Options" (at the end of the dropdown menu). It will open a window with several tabs. You should go to the tab named "Mail Format". Once there, we see that the first option in this tab it says "Message Format".

Well just have to deploy this option and change it from "Rich Text" to "HTML". In this way our mail is sent in HTML format, that any modern email program can read the file and it will disappear forever winamil.dat of our lives being replaced by the same corresponding original attachments.

If you use Microsoft Outlook to send messages with attachments via the Internet, using the Microsoft Outlook Rich Text Format (RTF), some recipients of the message includes an additional file called Winmail.dat. The Winmail.dat is usually very small, but can not be opened in the message. Use the plain text format in order to resolve this problem. To do this, follow these steps: Click the Tools menu, click Options and then click E-mail format. Click the drop-down list Compose in this message format to plain text, and then click OK.

While plain text and HTML in general by all email clients can be read, it is in rich text (RTF) is a separate Microsoft ® format, which only the two programs, Outlook and Outlook Express and can read some other email clients. In the file Winmail.dat, contains the information on formatting a written in Rich Text format message. This gets an Outlook client, it reads this information and presents the text at the receiver is in accordance with the way it is formatted by the sender.

Winmail.dat attachment appears in the following situations:

• Sent a letter with additional properties in UserProperties or ItemProperties. These properties can be exhibited not only by hand, but also in various plugins.
    • Route from a non-standard letter - invitation to a meeting, etc. Such letters can be created with the help of additional forms.
    • Perhaps even some cases, such as sending RTF, etc.

A correspondent sends you an email with an attachment, but it does not appear in the mail: there is a winmail.dat file attached. This problem occurs when your correspondent sends you an email in rtf format. This format is not supported by Mozilla Thunderbird, as specific to Microsoft. To open the file : Download WMDecode:
    1) Unzip the file.
    2) Save the winmail.dat file in the directory WMDecode.
    3) Run WMDecode. the files are extracted in the same directory.
    Shareware software - Evaluation version limited time - Windows

If you received an e-mail with an attachment Winmail.dat and your client so that you can not do anything and no Outlook ® or Outlook ® Express is available so you can open Winmail.dat attachments with additional software and read. There is for instance the Winmail Opener. First, save the Winmail.dat system on the hard disk. Then you can simply grab it from Explorer to the user interface and release. Alternatively, select File -> Open or Click on the link to open file. Then open with the software Fentun.

Try Winmail.dat Reader