Thread: Corrupt files

Corrupt files

Hello everyone, I've encountered an odd problem with my computer. It's a Vaio laptop running Windows Vista. My problem is that I am unable to open all of my .jpg files along with other files. I believe that the individual files have been corrupted or something because I can open new jpg files just fine.

Here's the full story to provide some more info. A few weeks ago I turned on my computer and it started fine but my desktop's wallpaper was missing, so the background just was black. The menu bar and icons where still on the wallpaper was missing. So I went to my pictures folder to put it back up and found out that I couldn't open any of my pictures. The files are there but the icon picture is just the generic windows picture.

I've tired several different programs to open them but no luck. I've even emailed pictures to other computers as well as put them on usb drives to open on other computers but still no luck. I've also tried using a few JPEG recovery programs but none of those have worked so far.

I've also noticed that other files will not open either, including MP3 files, Word documents, and PDF files. However, when I put new .jpg files/mp3 files on my computer they work fine. So it's just all of my older files that have been corrupted, I believe.

Files that still work include .cbr (comics) and videos.

Anyways, does anyone know why so many of my files where corrupted? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix them? I'm only interested in saving some of the pictures. Thanks for any help!

Re: Corrupt files

Hi friend,

I seems that your computer system is infected by the virus. There are some viruses which corrupt the various files. I think same thing happened with your computer also. If you want get rid over this problem, then I suggest you to install updated antivirus application on your system. After the installation of antivirus, scan you entire system for any virus occurrence. Please try this and let me know if you still have same problem or not.