Thread: F-Spot or gThumb

F-Spot or gThumb

Hello,
    I switched recently for Mac OSX to Ubuntu and all I am very satisfied. However, I have a little trouble to replace two programs are the first famous itunes And second iphoto. I tested F-Spot that I appreciate and gThumb which is not bad although not so powerful features. I have a preference for F-Spot but I admit that the ideal would be a mix between the two, I explain: I love F-Spot tags for these functions and sharing on Facebook and Picassa. I love gThumb for its management of photos per catalog because it can create sub catalogs. Unfortunately in F-Spot, when I imported 3 different folders, I find myself with all my files in the Browser. Is there any way to have better management as much as gThumb, I confess that I much use F_Spot? Otherwise how do you sort your photos? Thank you in advance for your answers.
    Last edited by Vodka; 16-01-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Re: F-Spot or gThumb

Hi,
    I think you should try digikam. But if I am not wrong it works on KDE desktop environment and not on gnome desktop environment. But you can still run it on gnome desktop environment, you have to just install the required kde libraries. Alternatively you can try the system labels (you can set to automatically import)? These tags allow you to perform a selection of images to be displayed on the screen.

Hello,
    With f-spot you can tagging all your photos and it's great to find photos by tags. For an example you can keep tagging your photos with " Holiday" and "Madrid" for some so you can with the bar labels find exactly the album you're looking for. With the f-spot version 0.6.1.2, you can also browse the directory or your photos are arranged. Personally I use f-spot but also for some special operations gthumb, phatch and more rarely jhead. The other mentioned softwares are also good contenders, if you wish you can try them.

Hello,
    I tested digiKam I find it great, although I can not find the shortcut keys to scroll through the pictures, I have to do it with the mouse. Otherwise I have no problem with digiKam. It often loses the connection when the exports or facebook it crashes for no reason when I delete a photo. I work under Gnome, I do not know if it is more stable under KDE, but I confess it's a bit boring. Otherwise to answer your questions I have tested the system label but it does not suit me. I prefer to manage my photos directory.

Hello,
    I use digikam under gnome carefree but then I turn on the karmic and digikam version is 1.0.0 beta 5. I think that it is installed in jaunty was an earlier version that contains bugs that are fixed in beta 5. I think you should go for KDE desktop envirnoment, it has all that you require, I mean to what gnome gives you even it satisfies you, and even the graphics are very cool. I think you should install kde and install digikam.
    Last edited by Raine; 16-01-2010 at 01:48 PM.

hi,
    You were asking for the shortcuts, here are some of them

For the next shot :
    spacebar or "page down (PgDn, next page)

Previous:
    Fix (backspace) or shift + spacebar or "page up" ( "PgUp", previous page)

There was still another, but I do know more memory. Also you can certainly put whatever you want as keys, simply go to the configuration of keyboard shortcuts.