Thread: Office 2003 Hyperlink Error : The address of this site is not valid

Office 2003 Hyperlink Error : The address of this site is not valid

Hi,

I have office 2003 installed on my windows xp pro. My problem is that when I click on the hyperlink in my word document. I get am error message, "The address of this site is not valid. Check the address and try again". But when I checked in the browser, the site is working. What may be the problem ????

Re: Office 2003 Hyperlink Error : The address of this site is not valid

This problem may occur if the document containing the hyperlink is stored in an Office 2003 program. If the document containing the hyperlink and the document that the hyperlink opens are on the same server and also when, the document containing the hyperlink and the document that the hyperlink opens are in separate actions on the server.

Download a hotfix from here. Then Quit all your Office 2003 programs. Got to Start, click Run, type regedit, and press enter. Then locate and click to select the following subkey in the registry:

Code:
          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common
    After you select the subkey that is specified in step 3, point to New on the Edit menu and then click DWORD Value. Type HypAlternateResolveToRel and then press ENTER. Select HypAlternateResolveToRel and click on Modify. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.

To open Hyperlink, you need to disable the "Update links on save" option. This prevents Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office Word and Microsoft Office PowerPoint to change the hyperlink that you created. In addition, this method avoids possible damage to the link format. Updating Links in the Save As option Bureau wide. For example, if you change the option in Word, the option is automatically changed in Excel and PowerPoint.

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
    2. On the General tab, click Web Options.
    3. On the Files tab, click to clear the Update Links on Save check box and then click OK.

If you still have a problem, then set the file location manually. When you create the hyperlink, use the link to the file dialog box to create the hyperlink instead of typing the path.

1. On the Insert menu, click Hyperlink.
    2. In the Link to box, click Existing File or Web page.
    3. Click Browse for the file.
    4. Type the path of the network share and then press ENTER to display the contents of that share.
    5. Click the file you want to link.
    6. Click OK twice.

The best way I think is just reinstall Office 2003. Some files must have been corrupted. so its better to repair office or reinstall in again. Or even update Office 2003 Service Pack 2 first then try the other methods.