Thread: How to work with NTBackup

How to work with NTBackup

Hi, i am Windows Xp user and recently installed Vista Ultimate on one of my computer. Now what i need is to take a backup of my XP computer and restore it on Vista. For this procedure, my friends suggested to go with NTBackup. To be frank, i have no idea of using this application.

Could you guys please make me know how to take backup and restore using NTBackup ? I appreciate all your help.

Re: How to work with NTBackup

NTBackup has generated an abundant literature (and sometimes blurred) from Microsoft. It is the utility for restoring backups made on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 to computers running Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows Server 2008. NTBackup can make a complete backup of your configuration, namely the Windows system, drivers and all installed software such as antivirus. This backup includes all your personal documents.

Note: NTBackup does not have a compression function. However, you can do your backups on another partition to the extent necessary space is available. It may be a HDD internal or external solution best suited to NTBackup or a storage medium like a Zip drive.

When you choose the backup media device in Backup (ntbackup.exe), you can not choose a CD-R, CD-RW or DVD-R device. To install the Backup utility from the Windows XP CD:
    Insert
    1. your Windows XP CD into the CD drive or DVD drive of the computer.
    2. Click Exit.
    3. Locate the CDDrive: \ ValueAdd \ msft \ ntbackup folder on the CD.
    4. Double-click Ntbackup.msi to install the Backup utility.
    5. When the Backup or Restore Wizard prompts you, click Finish.
    6. Remove the Windows XP CD.

Here is how to use NTBackup for backup and restore process. Before performing the backup, disable your antivirus and firewall. Avoid also any attempt to write or write to your hard not to create conflict.

Taking Backup:

1. On the home screen of NTBackup, click on "advanced mode"
    2. In the new screen, DO NOT click on the "Wizard of ASR, because you'll get a window with" files for recovery diskette could not be created. The operation was canceled. Indeed, the ASR is not supported in XP Home. Instead, click on the "Save"
    3. You get a new window that lets you check yourself boxes of interest (C: \ System State + + My Documents).
    4. You must specify the drive letter (or that of the score) which will be the backup.
    5. Then click "Start".
    6. I recommend this simple and explicit, but clicking on the button "Backup Wizard", you can also define your backup (select "save selected files, drives or network data").

Restore:

1. Launching NTBackup, you find the home screen, and then you click "advanced mode".
    2. Then click the "Restore and Manage Media".
    3. In the case of an external HD if you have reconnected on the same USB port, you do not even have to change the letter.
    4. On the right side of the window, you can find the backups already made.
    5. You only have to do your restore.

The Backup utility is not included in the default installation of Windows XP Home Edition. The Save icon is not present in the Start menu in Windows XP Home Edition, it is not listed in Add / Remove program. To manually install the backup:
    • Double-click the file Ntbackup.msi in the following location on the CD Windows XP Home Edition to start an installation wizard of the backup:
      CD-ROM: \ VALUEADD \ MSFT \ NTBACKUP
    • At the end of the wizard, click Finish.

When we do a full backup of the configuration requires that it be healthy and clean. To do so, make sure to clean and disinfect your PC (antivirus + antispyware + cleaner). Also make one restore point after the cleaning. You must have administrative permissions or backup operator on your computer to save and restore folders and files. Administrators and Backup Operators can back up and restore files and encrypted files without decrypting them.

The Backup utility is included on the Windows XP Home Edition CD. You can find it in: Accessories> System Tools> Backup. By clicking above, you have the home page of the utility. Click the "advanced mode". At this stage you must click on the "Wizard of ASR. Windows XP Home Edition users can access the ASR Wizard if they install the system program NTBackup from Valueadd folder on the CD-ROM Windows XP Home Edition.