Thread: How to launch MSBuild task from another?

How to launch MSBuild task from another?

I want some help from you to loop some standard MSBuild tasks: GenerateResources and AL. I think that we can do that but there is no direct option of doing this. So finally I decided to implement custom task which will launch these task. I got the error "Task attempted to log before it was initialized" during launching tasks from my custom. I think that Log wasn't initialized but how to do it? Please help me soon..
    I do to dead flowers what people at morgues do to dead people. Suck all the moisture out, dip them in plastic, paint them up pretty and put them in a nice frame.

Re: How to launch MSBuild task from another?

I think that launching a task from another should be possible using the <CallTarget> task. You can try using the <CallTarget> task. Also are you trying to run one file at a time to run those tasks across an ItemGroup of files ?? I think there are many ways to do this with batching, but you'll have to explain the problem you are trying to solve in a bit more detail. If you want to solve your problem soon, then give more information about your detailed problem fast..!!

According to me you need to localize a WPF project containing string resources. You don't need a stringtable to store your UI strings if you are writing a purely XAML GUI application. You leave them all in XAML. When you add UICulture to the project file the compiled XAML (BAML) will make its way to the resource assembly. To extract localizable strings from that BAML in resource assembly, you can use a tool such as LocBaml, after using this put them back into a new resource assembly.

To localize an application with BAML resources you need to :
    • Take your Compiled DLL or EXE that contains the resources.
    • Using the LocBaml or your own tool to parse the compiled DLL or EXE.
    • Then substitute translations.
    • Later you can use the LocBaml or your own tool to generate resources.dll assembly for each language you are localizing.
    Hope that these steps will help you to localize a WPF project containing string resources.

I would like to tell you that LocBaml is just a sample tool to show you how to localize your XAML markup and how to write tools using WPF localization APIs. I would like to recommend that you should store all your UI resources in markup to localize XAML applications. Those resources will then receive all the context needed to localize them properly. You can store the WinForms resources and any other resources of your choice, including resX. They all can be packaged into a single satellite assembly. I think that this can help you to solve the issue..!!

If you are localizing an application with BAML resources with the method that 'kattman' has described, I would like to tell that you would need to use multiple methods/tools for the complex scenarios that involve localizing multiple resource formats such as resx, BAML, html, etc. Otherwise you can also write your own tool that will allow you to localize all these formats at once. If your problem is still persisting then give the more details about that..