Thread: Picasa problem - only root user can execute it

Picasa problem - only root user can execute it

Hello,
    To launch the Picasa software, I am forced to run as root in Ubuntu by typing sudo picasa. If I go through Applications -> Picasa it does not start under my name, I do not understand. I do a ls-l / bin / picasa who said that the application is the user root and group root. I therefore applied the chown command to change the picasa user and it still does not work, Any one have any ideas about this.
    Last edited by Triple-X; 09-01-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Re: Picasa problem - only root user can execute it

Hello,
    I do a ls-l / bin / picasa who said that the application is the user root and group root. I therefore applied the chown command to change the picasa user and it still does not work
    It is quite normal. I have the same thing and should not change it.
    Code:
    $ ll / usr / bin / picasa
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2009-07-04 22:53 / usr / bin / picasa -> / opt / picasa / bin / picasa
    What is the error message it gives you if you launch a terminal (Applications> Accessories> Terminal) without root privileges? You just write picasa in the terminal and hit enter. And the fact you which version of Picasa? and what version of ubuntu? Have you installed the repositories from Google?

Hello
    Here is the error message:
    / usr / bin / picasa: line 139: 3183 Segmentation fault "$ PIC_BINDIR" / wrapper check_dir.exe.so
    / usr / bin / picasa: line 175: 3279 Segmentation fault "$ PIC_BINDIR / wrapper" regedit / E $ registry_export HKEY_USERS \ S-1-5-4 \ \ Software \ \ Google \ \ Picasa \ \ Picasa2 \ \ Preferences \ \
    I have the latest version of ubuntu 9.10 and version 2.7 of Picasa. I'm not gone through the repositories of google but as I downloaded the ubuntu documentation.

Hello,
    Even I have the same problem with me. Here is the message that the computer give me if I type Picasa and input from the terminal is
    / usr / bin / picasa: line 139: 4213 Segmentation fault "$ PIC_BINDIR" / wrapper check_dir.exe.so
    / usr / bin / picasa: line 175: 4316 Segmentation fault "$ PIC_BINDIR / wrapper" regedit / E $ registry_export HKEY_USERS \ S-1-5-4 \ \ Software \ \ Google \ \ Picasa \ \ Picasa2 \ \ Preferences \ \
    I have ubuntu version 9.10 and version 3.0 of Picasa downloaded from the deposit from Google. Is there any solution for this. Thank you for your help.

Hello
    While I was searching this on internet, I found that there are many people which have a similar kin of problem. Unfortunately I have not seen a solution that works. The only proposal is to change the version (and still does not work every time). May be an opportunity to a 100% free, wink. You can continue to seek advice by searching google with the error message. Or alternatively you can seek help from googles picisa's official site.

Hello
    Here is a solution that worked with me. If you need you can try it.
    rm-rf ~ /. picasa /
    sudo sysctl-w vm.mmap_min_addr = 0
    Hope this works with you guys. Best of Luck.