Thread: Slide scanner Nikon LS-2 works in ubuntu

Slide scanner Nikon LS-2 works in ubuntu

Hello everyone
    I have a slide scanner NIKON LS-2 SCSI that works. It works perfectly well under Windows 98 SP2, but has no driver under Windows XP and even less about Windows 7. To use it, I kept a system disk in Windows 98. I just spent some time under UBUNTU. My question is whether this scanner NIKON LS-2 can run on UBUNTU? Has anyone heard of a driver for this bike? Thank you
    Last edited by SoftWore; 09-01-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Re: Slide scanner Nikon LS-2 works in ubuntu

Hello,
    I have a slide scanner NIKON LS II SCSI that works. It works perfectly well under Windows 98 SP2, but has no driver under Windows XP and even less about Windows 7. To use it, I kept a system disk in Windows 98.
    Have you tried simply with xsane (having switched on your scanner before you start your computer)? I say that from what I have myself an old Agfa SnapScan SCSI scanner that works perfectly for my transition to Ubuntu there are 1 1 / 2 years without having done anything special. So, I think you should try it.

Hi,
    Oh, no! I have not mounted my SCSI card on my new machine, waiting for a response. I'll try, after all I did not risk much. Is there any other alternative than this. If you have any other solution with the same scanner which I have with me, it will be more helpful for me. I think I do not want to switch to different scanner, as I am used to it now. Thank you for the info you provided.

Hello,
    Maybe then you'll have more to worry if your old machine was very old (does it have an ISA port?). According to me, I do not see your Nikon LS II, this is not a Coolscan II / LS 20? So it is possible that it works, at least in part. You can just try it out if it works or not. See the results and then post if you have more queries.

Hello,
    Personally, I have a Nikon LS III LS 30 differently named. So an additional knowledge the LS II is also known as LS 20 in market. These scanners work well with xsane in Ubuntu, provided that the SCSI card is functional. I think you have not tried xsane, it really nice program and you can install it and give a try at it. Best of Luck.

Hi,
    Thanks for your replies guys.
    These scanners work well with xsane in Ubuntu, provided that the SCSI card is functional.
    As you had asked me to download and install xsane, I did it and hey all the problems are solved. Even the scanner is detected by the software automatically and I have no more problems what so ever now. I had one more question in my mind, the company does not provide drivers of their hardware for different operating system. This would be much easier for the users to operate.