Thread: netdiag no dns servers have the dns records for this dc registered

netdiag no dns servers have the dns records for this dc registered

I'm trying to add a second dc, but am having a DNS issue. Attached are the netdiag & ipconfig outputs. The character output was too large for the thread. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: netdiag no dns servers have the dns records for this dc registered

To install DNS on additional domain controllers by using the Windows Components Wizard

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and click Control Panel.

2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.

3. In Components, select the Networking Services check box, and then click Details.

4. In Subcomponents of Networking Services, select the Domain Name System (DNS) checkbox, click OK, and then click Next.

5. If prompted, in Copy files from, type the full path to the distribution files and then click OK. The required files will be copied to your hard disk.

The problem is with the existing server running dns. I can't add the second dc because of the problem on the first server. In the end I need to replace the hardware on the server currently running AD, and planned to move everything over to this second server so I can replace the hardware.

Does that make sense?

Before you start, go on the parent domain's dns server and then set a conditional forwarder to create point to new tree domain's dns server. And then click on the new tree, set the DNS IP to point to the parent domain's DNS server. AND it will provide you to new tree domain to contact the parent domain controller to make sure credentials that live on the parent domain. Then you can create the new domain tree. When AD/DNS installation completes, it will prompt for a re boot.

Eric - I'm pretty sure I don't know what you mean. I might be wrong, but I figured the first thing I needed to take care of is fixing the DNS issue on the server running AD.

Assuming that the reason for the failure in this case is that the DNS server is down, the solution can be found with NetDiag. Do not use Internet Connection Sharing on a server with DNS or DHCP running on it, use NAT in RRAS and make sure the DNS Proxy is disabled in NAT (Name resolution tab). Note, you should make this delegation check (with nslookup or DNS manager) both on this DNS server and on the server(s) you delegated the subzone to. It is possible that the delegation was done correctly, but that the primary DNS for the subzone, has any incorrect NS record pointing back at this server. If this incorrect NS record is cached at this server, then the self-send could result. If found, the subzone DNS server admin should remove the offending NS record.