Thread: What is Max for Live ?

What is Max for Live ?

Hi there, I am using windows xp on my laptop. Actually i am getting in to DJ profession. And i have heard many things about max for live. Though i have been using Ableton Live 8 for some time. So this could be very much helpful for me to know about Max For Live. Is there anything that i can use in my profession ?
    Last edited by Sandy22; 30-12-2009 at 01:10 AM.

Max: add-on product for Ableton Live 8.

Max for live is an extension for the Ableton Live 8. Here are some features or tasks that you can do with Max for live.
    1. Step sequencers.
    2. Instruments.
    3. Effects.
    4. Stuff to control Live.
    5. New hardware integration features.

Devices included in Max for Live.

Following are the devices included in the Max for Live which you will be able to use.
    • Step Sequencer provided with the four 16-note sequences, shift, random, MIDI control.

• Loop Shifter provided with the automated mapping and playback, for Max-style looping.

• An extension for the new Akai APC40 that turns it into a step-sequencer editor for Live MIDI clips.

tutorials in Max for Live.

It is true that programming with Max is not at all easy. There are some unavoidable learning curve involved in any kind of programming. Max for Live is provided with the tutorials, each with their reusable example content. This tutorial would be guiding you completely through the Max for Live from the step 1 t the last one.

Key Features of Max for Live.

Key Features of Max for Live are as follows.
    1. Build your own audio effects, MIDI effects and instruments.
    2. Flexible user interface design: the UI can look like Live or completely different.
    3. Use the API to control Live Sets, tracks, clips, devices, notes, loops, parameters etc.
    4. Includes a specialized version of Max for creating and editing Max devices
    5. Includes step-by-step tutorials for learning to program with Max for Live.
    6. Devices keep playing in Live while they are being edited in Max.
    7. Extend your hardware's feature set: provides objects to access any hardware controllers that are connected to Live.
    8. Supports video synthesis and animation via "Jitter" objects.
    9. Includes hundreds of built-in Max objects for logic, MIDI, scripting, audio and video processing.
    10. Comes with a selection of MAX devices that are ready to use out of the box for audio and MIDI processing, algorithmic composition, real-time performance and hardware control.

Difference between Max and Max for Live.

There is some requirements to use Max for Live. Max is a stand alone application which can work on its own but Max for Live needs new Live 8.1 release and Max 5.1. As you would be knowing that it is an EXTENSION which itself means that it can not be used on its own. You can start editing an existing device from inside the Live to work on Live devices.