Thread: The safety of Synaptic

The safety of Synaptic

Hello,
    Hey I use Ubuntu and I do my updates from Synaptic or the command shell sudo apt-get update / apt-get upgrade. I would have liked to have your opinion on this type of management development to day point of view of safety. Any help on this will be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Triple-X; 26-12-2009 at 02:19 PM.

Re: The safety of Synaptic

Hello,
    There is (to my knowledge) no security problem. To run apt-get you used sudo to temporarily (run command) makes you become root. What I think is more secure than having a root user with password (much harder to crack a user without a password because it can connect to the system). Synaptic uses the same procedure as apt-get. Hope you understood the concept.

Hello,
    When does the download of updates begin, it seems that no encryption is set up, nothing does the authentication, integrity, source. I am really new to this concept. There is (to my knowledge) no security problem. To run apt-get you used sudo to temporarily (run command) makes you become root. Seriously, what do you think?

Hello
    As long as you only use the official servers of your distribution there is no risk.
    Note that the packages are checked and verified by an arch large number of people. This system is used by thousands of people and have never been a problem so far. After if you want to be on and some of what is on your system you can mount a LFS from source. But even there you can not be over 100% to less than dissect each source one by one.

Hi
    Synaptic is normally a very good tool after that it depends on the sources you choose to update your system but overall no one will sting you packages. For ubuntu, council remains on official sources, since ubuntu is based on debian sid that the level of updates of a flounder security . Is there any official mirror for packages security.

Hi
    When does the download of updates begin, it seems that no encryption is set up, nothing does the authentication, integrity, source.
    I think for the authentication you should go to
    Code:
    System → Administration → Software Sources → Authentication
    Hope this will help you. If you have any more problem please post back so that we can help you.