Thread: Hibernation file cleaner tool

Hibernation file cleaner tool

Hi, I'm using windows xp sp2, i'm having 1gb of hibernation file hiberfil.sys stored in my c:\ drive, i can see it when i enable option to view hidden files, but i can't delete it. When i try to delete it t gives me error saying that its may be used by some other user. But i'm the only user account in my pc. Then why its saying its used by some other user. How can i delete hibernation file hiberfil.sys? any cleaner tool which can force this hibernate file to delete? Its occupying 1Gb of space and i want to make it free, so i need your help for this.

Re: Hibernation file cleaner tool

Have you tried the disk cleaner option on your c:\ drive? in disk cleanup you should be able to see hibernate file cleaner and select that file and perform a dik cleanup. You can use any 3rd party system cleaner software also, i don't know of any dedicated hibernate file cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by one4u View Post
    When i try to delete it t gives me error saying that its may be used by some other user. But i'm the only user account in my pc. Then why its saying its used by some other user.
    You getting this error because might be till now you haven't disable the hibernation for your pc. You need to disable the hibernation first then reboot the system , hibernation files will be deleted automatically or you can delete hiberfil.sys manually. To disable hibernation in windows xp sp2, follow these steps:

1. In Control Panel, click on Performance and Maintenance, then run Power Options applet.
    2. Go to Hibernate tab.
    3. Uncheck Enable hibernation option.
    4. hiberfil.sys file should have been deleted automatically, if not you can delete it by yourself.

One more simple way is to disable hibernation:

1. Right-click the desktop and click on and click on "properties".
    2. Click the screen saver tab.
    3. Click the power settings button
    4. In the power options properties dialog box click the hibernate tab.
    5. Uncheck the enable hibernation check box.
    6. Click OK then click OK again

Quote Originally Posted by darshit View Post
    You getting this error because might be till now you haven't disable the hibernation for your pc. You need to disable the hibernation first then reboot the system , hibernation files will be deleted automatically or you can delete hiberfil.sys manually. To disable hibernation in windows xp sp2, follow these steps:

1. In Control Panel, click on Performance and Maintenance, then run Power Options applet.
    2. Go to Hibernate tab.
    3. Uncheck Enable hibernation option.
    4. hiberfil.sys file should have been deleted automatically, if not you can delete it by yourself.

Thanks for your reply, file i disappeared after i disable the hibernation. Thanks to all of your for help.