Thread: .mov file created on mac won't play with windows

.mov file created on mac won't play with windows

Hey there!

I'm having this issue with .mov files (mjpeg).

It's been created with macOSX. It played perfectly on that computer using quicktime.

I tried opening it on my windows XP, but quicktime gave me the 2048 error (it doesn't recognize the file format).

I tried opening it with VLC, but nothing happens. The player just opens the file, i see the name of it at the bottom of the window but it just dissapears after a few seconds, and the movie never shows.

MWV, ofcourse, was no use.

I had someone else try the file on another XP computer, same problem.

Now here's what i already tried, based on what i've found on various forums around the inet:

- upgraded quicktime to latest version.
    - upgraded VLC to latest version.
    - Installed K-Lite codec pack (already had it but found a version that's dated 09/12/14)
    - installed macdrive (yeah, i know, but i was desperate...)
    - checked the registry, all values are there (content type: video/mpeg - perceived: video)
    - Uninstalled quicktime and installed the 6.0 version.
    - Installed ffdshow and activated the mjpeg "stuff" (can't remember it exactly, but it was suggested on a forum where some1 had the same problem).
    - renamed the files to .wmv , .avi.

The files won't read in any player.

It seems a lot of people have the same issue, according to what i've found on the forums, but i couldn't find any solution.

The person that gave me the file told me other users had no problems with mjpeg movies. He couldn't tell me which windows they were using but he was positive about the file playing aok on vista.

I never had this problem with other types of compression. Usually, the codec packs i find on the internet cover everything and when i can't read a movie with Qtime i just use VLC. This worked for years and years until now...

The thing is, i absolutely have to make it work with quicktime. I use a software for movie dubbing and it uses Qtime as a player.

But i really doubt this has anything to do with QT since it won't play in VLC either...

According to the information i've gathered on the forums, this is a recent problems and might just be a stupid compatibility issue between mac and PC?

Someone suggested to upgrade to XP or W7 but does that not give me more risks of compatibility issues? I'm kind of a newb with this stuff so i'm just asking...

Or should i just ask the person that gave me the file to do things differently?

If you have any questions, do not hesitate, i will be tracking this thread for the night.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Re: .mov file created on mac won't play with windows

I will suggest you to download MCP player from the internet and also download the codec with it. After that try to run .mov file. If that does not solve your problem then you must go for upgrading your operating system. Upgrading your system will not give you any compatibility problem, but before upgrading try to repair your current operating system.