Thread: Programmer/Developer editor

Programmer/Developer editor

Hi
    I have recently shifted to linux operating system, on windows i would to use editor like editplus or something like the editor which has syntax highlighting for java, html, sql etc. and other languages. There are many editors in the windows world which have syntax highlighting and other features like that, but being new to linux, I have not idea about the editors available here. Can anyone recommend me a good editor with syntax highlighting and other features like that, so I can start my work. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Solaris; 17-12-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Re: Programmer/Developer editor

Hi
    There are many editors which have syntax highlighting feature available in linux world, but i would like to recommend you editors which offer little more, something like bracket matching etc. The best and powerful editor in the linux world is emacs , it has syntax highlighting and can recognize many languages. Vim also is a powerful editor, but for beginners it is bit difficult to start off. But if you become expert in handling the commands, then vim can be more faster than emacs. If you want an integrated development environment then you should go for eclipse or kdevelop.

Hi
    Code:
    Vim also is a powerful editor, but for beginners it is bit difficult to start off
    Thank you for your recommendation, I am thinking to start with the vim editor as my computer is bit old and has a less memory. I am planning to move towards eclipse for my next step. This would be in next few weeks. Still, if you guys can suggest me a better editor or any IDE than the above recommended, it will be a great help.

Hello
    I would like to recommend you scite, It's a great edit for those people who are programming, but it is little bit difficult to configure. Although that was for me, may be you may feel easy to do it. Even if you have an old computer emacs, xemacs and vim all work well even on the modest computers. You can also try the jed editor it has simple looks and is pretty good for programmers, it have the features which are required by a programmer. Hope this information will help you.

Hello
    I use linux operating system for many years now. So, i would recommend you to go for emacs, as you are a programmer. It is clearly the best editor in the league of the programs ever made in the computer world. It has almost all what a programmer need. Also, do not be afraid of running emacs on an old computer as it supports even then and runs very well on them. It is off-course true that it allocates more resource that vim, but its not that bad. Just give it a try, even you would love it.

Hi
    There are many editors which have syntax highlighting, most of the programmers use kwrite , kate or gedit for their programming purpose. But I personally use pico, it a good and sweet editor which has all the basic thing a programmer need. I use the command line for the programming , but this is my personal chioce, your may be different. I think you should give a try to pico editor once.