Thread: Making a .reg file

Making a .reg file

I am very eager to do some new things. I want to create .reg file to edit the registry. Also I want to create .reg so my machine can reboot without asking me for the password, even this is insecure I would like to try. Also I want to try to set view of folders to the standard by default. I know it is very tedious job. Still help needed.
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do". - Voltaire

Re: Making a .reg file

After you get the content of reg file you will have to open the notepad and then paste over there. After pasting save that file as .reg from the save command. Select "All Files" as the file type. After placing that file in certain place, you can use that reg by just double clicking on them. After double clicking, a dialog box will appear asking if you want to merge information into the registry. If you are sure to merge then click Yes. Now your reg file is ready to use. When you don't want to use this registry file you can simply delete it from where you had placed.

If you are using Windows Vista , type "Regedit" in start dialog box. In Windows XP just search for regedit or type regedit in run command. Go to the registry you want to edit. From inside the Regedit, click on the File menu, select Export option and choose 'Selected Branch'. Don't forget the location of that specific registry file. Be sure that you are making the correct registry entry otherwise your PC will be screwed.

After going to reg edit from the run dialog box, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER|Software|Microsoft|Internet Explorer. and now you are at the location to use your reg file. You can create a registry file with a series of REG.EXE commands to add, modify or delete registry keys. You can get lots of contents from the internet and you have to follow some steps as mentioned by "Eric B". Just make sure that you are doing it correctly.