Thread: How to create Transparent Background in Photoshop

How to create Transparent Background in Photoshop

I have 3 graphics. 1 is a GIF and the other 2 are PNG. The GIF file is a logo and the PNG files are black text on a white background. I would like to know that how to create a Transparent Background in Photoshop? Does any body knows about it? I want to make the white background transparent so I can put them on a CD label (printable media) and not have any of the white showing through because my background CD image is a picture. Kindly provide me the correct way for doing it. Thanks.

Re: How to create Transparent Background in Photoshop

While Photoshop is NOT a program for building web sites, Adobe has added in enough features and inter-connectability with other programs to make it possible. One way make a background transparent is to delete the Background Layer in a Photoshop image, leaving the layers above it visible. Then save the image as a GIF or PNG.

The easiest (and probably the best) way to do this, with the version of PS that you have, is to save the image for web, select a GIF format, and select the Transparent check box. For that you need to add a transparent layer to an existing file by selecting Layer--> New --> Layer from the menu. This image has no transparency - the background is white. As long as the image is on a white background there's no problem it looks transparent anyway. After that a new layer will be added above the currently selected layer. If the image is placed on a coloured background, the lack of transparency becomes obvious. Drag the new layer below the image's layer. Notice how the transparent layer is checkered. This pattern is not part of the image, it is just there to help you identify transparent areas. Make sure the content layer is selected before you continue.

If memory serves me right, PS 6 still had the GIF export utility - it's been a while. If you have a layer in your file already, say, a JPEG and you're creating a new layer that you want to be transparent, but maybe have writing on it, above the picture just make a new layer and change its opacity in the Layers palette. If the OP's original graphic was a layered file, with the graphic on separate layer, and the white BG on another, it would be easy to turn off the BG layer, leaving the image transparent for an GIF export. Then you can add text, etc. to that layer, and retain a transparent background, with that layer. Then just make sure the matt for the image is suitable for the background it's going to sit on.