Thread: Best editor for java

Best editor for java

Hi
    I have recently started programming in java, that is I am new to java. I am learning this language from start. Currently I am using notepad as my editor, I am coding simple programs in java. So, can you guys tell me which is the best editor for java. Also you can suggest me a good IDE for java. But for I do not think I will need an IDE, so I am searching for a editor which supports java syntax highlighting and some other advantages that are not present in the notepad. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Best editor for java

Hello
    I think you should go for Komodo edit, it is a great editor for general purpose text edition. I have features like notepad++ and it is a programmers editor. But if you are a java professional, then I think you should go for Eclipse. Eclipse is an IDE which has most of the thinks inbuilt that are required by a programmer. It is a good option for programmers. If you do not need an IDE and just a editor then JEdit is a editor completely written in java. It has plugins which make the editor almost like a IDE. Try these editors, which ever you feel better use it. Any more information, do post back.

Hi
    As said in the above post if you need an IDE, then I will recommend you Eclipse. If you do not want an IDE to use right now then any text editor which has an java syntax highlighting can work. Moreover see you have line numbers in the editor, because when it comes to debugging line numbers help a lot. As far as Eclipse is concerned you can write not only programs in java but also programs in most popular languages like php, C etc. Hope you will get a editor for programming soon, all the best and enjoy programming.

Hi
    Even though Eclipse and NetBeans offer the syntax highlighting, re-factoring tools, auto-code completion and many other handy features I do not think they are great for a beginner who has just started programming. For beginners I will recommend some text editor, so that the IDE is not ding everything for them and they could understand what is actually going on behind the screens. Letting IDE take care of all the other things is great but when you know what is going on. But for beginners they should know compile classes, set the classpath and create JAR file etc from a terminal. So, I recommend you to use a basic text editor. And if you want an editor which has some features like a IDE but not an IDE, then go for JEdit.