Thread: Need to know about Robust File Copy

Need to know about Robust File Copy

Hi there,

This post is regarding a small curiosity about the Robust File Copy.
    I had a issue about setting up of Webfarm and NBL, which i have already sorted out with a post on this forum.

But now i wanted to know about the Robocopy Which is the acronym for Robust File copy .
    My query is that
    1. What is Robust File copy?
    2. What purpose it is used for?

Thanks in advance

Re: Need to know about Robust File Copy

Hi,

Its a is a command-line directory which is a replication command known as Robust File copy or Robocopy. Robocopy is already available in the Operating system Kit. It is the standard features of the Microsoft's Operating System (Vista and Server 2008).

It is developed for the mirroring complete directories. Robocopy contain the codes for restarting the network connection again if any interruption occur. If file is already in use by some other application or user then it can not copy that file.

That all i know about Robocopy

Hello,

Documentation for the Robocopy utility is located in the Robocopy.doc file that is included in the Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit and the Windows 2000 Resource Kit. The "Copying NTFS Security Information" section in the Robocopy.doc file describes how to use the /secfix command-line parameter to copy NTFS file system access control lists (ACLs) for existing files that have not been modified. However, this section does not fully describe how to copy security information without copying the file data (for files that have been modified) at the same time. (The steps to complete this procedure are available in other parts of the Robocopy.doc file.) This article describes how to use Robocopy to copy security information for a file without copying the data from this file.

MORE INFORMATION

By default, Robocopy copies file data for any file that appears to be older, newer, or changed. You can use the /secfix parameter when you run the Robocopy command line to copy only security information for existing files. Additionally, you must use the /xo parameter, the /xn parameter, and the /xc parameter when you run the Robocopy command with the /secfix parameter, for example:

Code:
    robocopy source destination /secfix /xo /xn /xc
    If you run this command line, Robocopy refreshes only the security
    information for existing files; it does not copy any file data.

If you want to maintain the destination folder as an exact mirror of the source folder, you must run Robocopy with the appropriate parameters to refresh only the file security information, and then run the Robocopy command without using the /xo, the /xn, or the /xc parameters. After you do so, the file data content is consistent between the source file and the destination file.

Hey,

Thanks for posting this section. This section increased my knowledge about the Robocopy. I have downloaded the robocopy from the Microsoft download center and If some one wants to download the same, here is the link

Microsoft download center