Thread: Structure of Windows Registry file

Structure of Windows Registry file

Hi,
    I am using Windows XP. The system works fine. Here last week I edited Windows Registry as per the instructions provided on Symantec's site to delete a entry created by virus. I am only aware that it is a critical system component and it is not good to play with it. I am looking for the entire description with the structure. As you can see there are list of folders in there. Which folder is assign to what part of Windows. And what more can I do in it. Thanks in advance.

Re: Structure of Windows Registry file

The registry is divided into different logical sections. It is composed of keys themselves composed of a master key and subkeys. Here are some keys and the description. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (HKLM). This part contains general information on hardware, system, management of user accounts, security. The information relevant to all users. HKEY_USERS (HKU) this contains specific information for all users. The default user, is found in class HKU \. DEFAULT. HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG (HKCC). It contains information on the current hardware configuration, these information are updated dynamically.

The registry file of Windows XP is a very critical system component. If it is destroyed or corrupted then your system will usually become unstable. The parts of this file which I am familiar with are HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (HKCR). The parts records information on applications registered. KEY_CURRENT_USER (HKCU). This one has information about the user logged on, it is related to the primary key HKEY_USERS. HKEY_PERFORMANCE_DATA and HKEY_DYN_DATA. This has non managed dynamically displayed by regedit. Each key can contain one or more values, each defined by a name, data type and data.

You can do one thing here. You can optimize the management of ram via the registry. First for this you will have to run the registry file. Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet > Control > Session Manager > Memory Management. Create a new channel (right click on the right side of the window New > String Value. Name the string IoPageLockLimit and give it a hexadecimal value depending on the amount of RAM available on your system (visible under Start > Settings > Control Panel > System, in the bottom right of the window). The frequency for the same is as follows. For 64 MB ram: 2000, for 128 MB of RAM: 4000, for 160 MB of RAM: 8000, for 256 MB of RAM: 10000 and for 512 MB of RAM: 20000.