Thread: What is UAC in Windows Vista

What is UAC in Windows Vista

Hi,
    I was just playing with the User Accounts of Windows Vista. I created some accounts and logged in to check the status. When I run a tool the UAC blocked it. I need some information on this UAC (User Account Control). What is this applications and is it worth to run it in the operating system. Second What are the differences between the built-in account (BUILTIN) administrator and members of the Administrators group.

Re: What is UAC in Windows Vista

Under Vista, the members of the local group administrators have 2 security tokens (Token), a token track and a small token (filtered). The filtered token is the token track which we withdrew all privileges. You can view it by logging in you as a member of the Administrators group and launching whoami / all in 2 command prompt (cmd.exe) different. First by launching cmd.exe simply. The other by running cmd.exe right click "run as administrator". Verify that the token in the command prompt has not raised any privileges.

The users in the local administrators group run by default with their restricted token. When a job requires a high privilege, UAC asks for permission to use the full token (privilege escalation). Depending on the UAC setting, this can be done transparently (no prompt), by consent or input password. The default mode for the group administrators is that of consent (Admin Approval Mode). The integrated account administrator turns it on him with his full token, it does not need to consent to use another token.

By default, the built-in account administrator is disabled and does not appear in the Logon window. (it is not usable and has no password). By default, members of the local Administrators group run applications with their small token and must approve any application running with elevated privileges: (Admin Approval Mode). The Administrator account is running integrated applications directly with the token complete AUC was therefore necessary to go down in.