Thread: Saving Word 2008 documents in different file format

Saving Word 2008 documents in different file format

Hi, basically i am a Windows Vista user. But due to some reason, i need to work on MAC OS X at my office and need help from you all regarding the Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac. Actually i have some documents in Word 2008 which i need to save in some different file format, just like we can do in MS office 2007 on windows from the save as option on the file menu. Could you guys please make me know how to do the same in Word 2008 for Mac? I need to do it urgently. Help appreciated.

Re: Saving Word 2008 documents in different file format

When you create and save a new document in Word 2008, Word uses a new file format that supports the new and enhanced features of Word 2008. This file format differs from the format used by earlier versions of Word for Mac and versions of Word for Windows before the 2007 Office suite.

However, you can save your documents in other file formats so that they can be opened with earlier versions of Word, or opened with other applications. But remember that saving a document in a different file format may remove some of the features supported by the new file format. You may want to save a copy of your document in the new file format before you save in a different file format.

To save Word 2008 for Mac documents in a different file format, follow these steps:-

• Open the Word 2008 for Mac document.
    • On the File menu, click Save As.
    • In the Save As box, type a name for the document.
    • By default, the file is saved in the Documents folder. If you want to save the file in a different folder, change the Where box to the different folder.
    • In the Format box, select the file format that you want. For example, to save the document in a format that can be opened in earlier versions of Microsoft Word for Mac, select Word 97–2004 Document (.doc).
    • Click Save.

Word 2008 for MAC provides file format converters to open files that were created in other applications. These converters are installed with Word.
    1. On the File menu, click Open.
    2. On the Enable pop-up menu, click the file type that you want to open.
    3. File types sometimes become unavailable. If you don't see the file type, or if you don't know the file type, click All Documents.
    4. Locate the document that you want to open, and then double-click it.