Thread: Event Viewer access denied

Event Viewer access denied

I am trying to use Event Viewer to connect to another computer and view its event logs. I have a stand-alone LAN with a mix of Dell servers running Windows Server 2003 and Dell workstations running Windows XP (64-bit). All machines are on the same subnet and have the same workgroup name. I am on an Administrator account. I can connect just fine to the Windows Server computers, but when I try to connect to a Windows XP machine, I get an "access denied" error.

I can also remote desktop just fine into both the Windows Server and Windows XP machines. DNS is not an issue, as I am trying to connect via IP address, not computer name. The firewall is turned off for all machines.

On the Windows XP machines, I have verified that the remote registry service is running. I have also checked permissions on the Local Service account in the registry under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\Winreg. Basically, I have attempted everything that I have found by googling my problem. Please help!

Re: Event Viewer access denied

To connect to another computer
    • Open Event Viewer.
    • In the console tree, right click Event Viewer (Local), and then click Connect to another computer.
    • Click Another computer, type the name of the computer, and then click OK. You can also find another computer on the network by clicking Browse.

Notes
    • To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Administrators group on the local computer, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority. If the computer is joined to a domain, members of the Domain Admins group might be able to perform this procedure. As a security best practice, consider using Run as to perform this procedure.
    • To open Event Viewer, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer.

Please check if the administrator is the member of guest group. If yes,
    please remove the membership for administrator. Now check if you are able
    to view the logs or not . to remove yourself from the Guest Group You will need to go to Control Panel--Administrative Tools--Computer Management--Local Users and Groups.Click on Groups then Guests.Make sure to remove your username from the Guests Group.

I checked and the administrator is not a member of the guest group. Any other suggestions?