Thread: MS Office 2004 Standard Edition won't start

MS Office 2004 Standard Edition won't start

Hi,, i am a MAC OS user and need some help regarding MS office 2004. Actually i was using MS Office 2004 Test Drive since last month and now as its trial period is over, i removed it and try to install MS Office 2004 Standard Edition. But when i click on the setup file, it won't do any thing. One of my colleague has suggested me to remove Office application to uninstall the first one. I did but still the problem is same. Could you guys please help me out in this case.Why MS Office 2004 Standard Edition applications do not start ?

Re: MS Office 2004 Standard Edition won't start

When you get Successfully Removed message after running the Remove Office application is not enough coz it don't remove it completely. You need to do this more than once. Remove Office removes files installed by Microsoft Office 98, Office 2001, Office X, Office v. X Test Drive, Office 2004, and Office 2004 Test Drive, including Microsoft shared libraries, such as Microsoft OLE, that might be required by other programs. If a program does not start after you use Remove Office, try reinstalling the program to fix the problem.

To Remove Office just go through these steps:-
    • Drag the Remove Office program to your hard disk. Remove Office is located in the Additional Tools folder in the Remove Office folder on the CD-ROM or on the network you installed Office from.

• Start Remove Office by double-clicking the program on your hard disk, on the Office CD-ROM, or on the Getting Started screen of the Office Setup Assistant.

If you manually removed any version of Office I would try running the
    uninstall utility because you may have missed something along the way. When you run the Remove Office program, files are not removed until you click the Remove button on the Remove Microsoft Office screen.

To remove the Test Drive, on the Results screen, click the Microsoft Office 2004 check box to select the Test Drive, and then click Continue. In the Choose which components to remove screen, click the Remove the Microsoft Office 2004 Test Drive folder check box to remove the Test Drive, and then click Continue.

I am not sure but there can be some other reason for this problem as well.If you install Motion 2.1, part of Final Cut Studio 5.1, or other applications that use "split segment" non-system libraries on an Intel-based Mac, then Microsoft Office applications may fail to launch. To fix this error you need to pdate pre-binding. If you are not aware of doing this, than just follow this steps:-

• If you haven't already, log into the computer as a user who has an administrator account.
    • Navigate to the Utilities folder, inside the Applications folder.
    • Open Terminal.
    • Type: sudo update_prebinding -root / -force
    • Press Return.
    • When prompted for a password, enter your admin password, and press Return again.Pre-binding will take a few minutes to complete. You may see messages indicating that temp files are missing. These are harmless, and you can ignore them. When pre-binding has been completed, the Terminal prompt (usually a dollar sign, "$") returns.
    • Type: exit
    • Press Return.
    • Quit Terminal.