Thread: Why access sort data automatically?

Why access sort data automatically?

Hi,

Why access sort data automatically? every time I enter data into the tables and close the table. Next time when I open the table access sort the data automatically & this is not what I want. I want the data to be there as I have entered it. Don't want it to get sorted automatically.
    Can someone please help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Why access sort data automatically?

I think its due to the datatype.
    Can you tell us what exactly happening? Which columns are getting sorted?
    If you pay attention to the datatypes I am sure that your problem will no longer exist. May be sort you are seeing is because your numbers are actually text or are being converted to text.

I hope this helps.

Removing the Sorting

In most cases, you should "unsort" a list before continuing. To put the list back in the sequence it previously had:
    * In the Sort & Filter section of the Ribbon, click the Clear All Sorts button
    * Right-click the query or form and click Clear All Sorts

I can think of three ways

1. If your table have an primary key then avoid it. Create a table with no Primary Key: the physical order will always be in time-entered order regardless of compacting regime.

2. Create a table with an incrementing PRIMARY KEY (PK)

3. Never compact the file.

Undo or remove a sort order

The quickest way to remove a sort order is to apply a different sort order. However, if you want to see the records in default sort order or in the order that they were originally entered, do one of the following:

* To remove the current sort order in Datasheet view or Form view, on the Records menu, click Remove Filter/Sort. This removes the current or saved sort order of a table, query, or form.

Note Doing this will remove the current filters from the view. To remove only the sort order and retain the current filter settings, in the Advanced Filter/Sort dialog box, remove the value from the Sort row for all columns.
    * To remove the current sort order of a report, in Design view, click Sorting and Grouping on the toolbar, and delete the entries from the Field/Expression column. Note that this will remove all grouping and sorting from the report.
    * To remove the current sort order in Page view, close and reopen the page.

When you remove the current or saved sort order, the records will be displayed in default order, if a default order is specified. To remove a default sort order, do one of the following:

* To remove a query's default sort order, open the query in Design view and then remove the value from the Sort row for all columns.
    * To remove a report's default or inherited sort order, open the report in Design view, double-click the report selector, and in the property sheet, set the OrderByOn property to No. Optionally, you can delete the value of the OrderBy property.
    * To remove a page's default sort order, open the page in Page view, right-click the header or footer bar of a group level, and then click Group Level Properties. In the property sheet, delete the value of the DefaultSort property. If the page is grouped, you must reset the DefaultSort property for each group level.

After you remove the saved and default sort orders from a table or query, you will see records in the order in which they were originally entered. After you remove the saved and default sort orders from a form, report, or page, you will see the records sorted in inherited order.