Thread: What is difference between OpenCL and CUDA

What is difference between OpenCL and CUDA

Hi,
    I want to know from OpenCL and CUDA which one is preferrable to use. What is the major difference between both. I am working on a programming project work. So I found this two applications. But I am confused between them which one to use. So what should I do here. Divert the cost to OpenCL or CUDA. I had tried to read several article and now developed a general idea about both. But still I need more view on it. Thanks in advance.

Re: What is difference between OpenCL and CUDA

As far as I am concern I will go with CUDA. Because CUDA is much advance than OpenCL. There are some key feature which only CUDA has. The only main advantage which I believe about CUDA is a cross platform support. CUDA is developed by Nvidia which is the only C language environment. This helps the programmers and other developer to create there own software which is then further used to solve complex computational problems within a short period of time. There are now tons of CUDA capable GPU's in the market. It is used and widely accepted by multiple programmers. The tools also speed up the audio and video encoding.

Here OpenCL and CUDA are both has Nvida support. OpenCL is actually a different method which is used to access a GPU. According to me OpenCL is better than CUDA. Now Nvidia offers a OpenCL support on CUDA architecture. This means that which ever Nvidia's current GPU built on architecture of CUDA will support OpenCL. So you have both on your finger tips. The GPU which starts from and after GeForce 8 comes with a OpenCL support.

It depends on our requirement. Both are not compatible with each other. OpenCL ins the first freeware standard that was used for cross-platform, parallel programming of the new processors. This processor are generally found in PC, server, etc. The aim of the application is to improve the speed and responsiveness towards the wide range of hardware that keep on changing. Those are mostly related to gaming, multimedia and medical. On the other hand CUDA is more mature than OpenCL. CUDA offers much more feature which are absent in OpenCL. You can say it a new version so this can be more better.