Thread: how to open cfg files

how to open cfg files

I have downloaded some game and everything works perfectly except for that when I try to open a file named "COMBATFS.CFG" to make some changes I got messages that Windows XP cannot recognize the format? So I want to know a way on how to open cfg files so that I can make some ingame changes? I have also tried the manuals but that wasnt too helpful for me either? Thanks for any help.
    Waiting for (I know I cant afford em all): Halo 2 (xbox), Half-Life 2 (xbox), MGS3: Snake Eater (ps2), MGS: Twin Snakes (GC), Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (xbox), Gran Tourismo 4 (PS2), Mario Advance 4: Pikmin 2 (GC), Metroid Zero Mission (GBA), Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)

Re: how to open cfg files

If you want to open .cfg files then it can only be opened in Note Pad or Word Pad. But sometimes notepad makes the text all on one line so open on wordpad to list the various commands/cvars verticaly.

Yes, I have also heard that you can open the cfg files using notepad but I havent figured it out how. I will try to open it in WordPad as well and see if that works.

You use notepad to open cfg files, just follow the below step:
    Right click on the mouse and on the file and use the OPEN WITH option. If you don't see Notepad listed you can use the Choose Program option to find it. You'll have the option to check the box "Always use the selected program" to make Notepad the default .cfg editor.