Thread: How to print Directory Listing in Windows

How to print Directory Listing in Windows

HI, i'm on windows xp , my question is How can i save the directory list from the Windows Explorer and then print the full directory list? I search the applications for this but i can't find any utility which accomplish this need. Please let me know if you have any trick for this.

Re: How to print Directory Listing in Windows

Do the following:
    • First download this utility Copy File Name
    • Copy File Name is a small program that will enable you to right click any file and select "Copy File Name" from the context menu.
    • You can then paste the listings into a text editor, such as Notepad, for printing or saving.

Yes you can easily print the directory listing by adding the context menu Print Directory Listing feature in windows. With this you can right-click a folder and then click Print Directory Listing to print a directory listing of the contents of a folder.

Perform the following steps in Windows XP:

Create the Printdir.bat file

• Click Start, click Run, type notepad, and then click OK.
    • Paste the following text into Notepad:

@echo off
      dir %1 /-p /o:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
      start /w notepad /p "%temp%\Listing"
      del "%temp%\Listing"
      exit
    • On the File menu, click Exit, and then click Yes to save the changes.
    • In the Save As dialog box, type the following text, and then click Save: %windir%\Printdir.bat

Create a new action for file folders

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options. Or, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.
    2. On the File Types tab, click File Folder.
    3. Click Advanced, and then click New.
    4. In the Action box, type Print Directory Listing.
    5. In the Application used to perform action box, type printdir.bat.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Click OK two times, and then click Close.

Edit the registry

After you follow the steps in the previous sections, Search Companion may start when you double-click a folder instead of the folder being opened. Or, if you have associated other actions with file folders, those actions may be performed instead.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    • Start Registry Editor.
    • Locate the Default value under the following registry subkey:HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
    • On the Edit menu, click Modify.
    • In the Value data box, type none.
    • Click OK.
    • Exit Registry Editor.

For windows xp, open your command prompt and Navigate to the directory you wish to print the contents of with the help of cd command, and now enter the command dir > print.txt , This command will take the list of all the files and all of the information about the files, including size, modified date, etc., and send that output to the print.txt file. And to print only the file names and not the file information of the files in the current directory enter the dir /b > print.txt command. And using dir /s /b > print.txt will print only the file names of the files in the current directory and any other files in the directories in the current directory.

You can also use the Karen's Directory Printer. Download it from this link . It can print the name of every file on a drive, along with the file's size, date and time of last modification, and attributes . And you can sirt the list by name, size, date created, date last modified, or date of last access
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

jean3167 Guest

I am using print directory now no more fumbling with My Computer or Windows Explorer, wishing you could print information about all your files. Print Directory can print the name of every file on a drive, along with the file's size, date and time of last modification, and attributes (Read-Only, Hidden, System and Archive)! And now, the list of files can be sorted by name, size, date.