Thread: How to create DB2 9.5 container

How to create DB2 9.5 container

Earlier I had issues with the MySQL database so recently I have switchover to the DB2 it has working fine, until there is a problem, I was creating a tablespace that can handle high I/Os for both reads and writes. I wanted to have suggestion regarding creating a tablespace to add some information (i.e. page size, number of pages, etc..)? Could i be able to create a dummy table and insert some dummy data for testing, Can I create it using the DB2 Admin. Please help.

Re: How to create DB2 9.5 container

You should use a DMS tablespace with lots of containers, preferably each container on a separate mount point with different spindles. IBM DB2 Express-C and Liferay are enterprise class applications which are free to develop, deploy and distribute without limitation. Raid 5 should should not be used for DB2 transaction log files. With DB2 there are two types of tablespaces known as SMS (system managed storage) and DMS (database managed storage).

If I reorganize a table to clean up free space, the files shrink in size and the excess space is made available to these three filesystems. Internally DB2 will stripe the data across these three filesystems by writing a set of pages, Organizations that now use WebSphere DataStage Change Data Capture to send DB2 changes to WebSphere DataStage can take advantage of the messaging infrastructure of event publishing by using the delimited message format.

I suspect the implementation you see at any given installation reflects the prejudices and experience of the senior Architect who designed the system more than anything else. When new containers are added to a table space, or existing containers are extended, a rebalance of the table space may occur. Start with the smallest table in a tablespace first and work toward the largest table in that tablespace.