Thread: What is the property of dhtml innertext method

What is the property of dhtml innertext method

Can anyone provide me the property for Inner text method, I have seen that many of my colleague have done the good applications using Inner text methods, such as calculator and all that, Please let me know whether is it true, and the property for Inner text.

re: What is the property of dhtml innertext method

With Dynamic HTML and Internet Explorer 4 and 5 you can update the text on the page after the page is rendered. The innerText property is valid for block elements only. By definition, elements that do not have both an opening and closing tag cannot have an innerText property. The trick is to use the ID attribute as a unique identifier for the tag.The innerText property is read-only on the html, table, tBody, tFoot, tHead, and tr objects. When the innerText property is set, the given string completely replaces the existing content of the object.

Source :MSDN

The use of Innertext in any programming language would be generally as follows as i will explain it to you with the very simple example.

Code:
    <HTML>
    <BODY>
    <p id="example" 
       onmouseout="example.innerText='Short description';"
       onmouseover="example.innerText='Longer description of the same item using DHTML for IE.';">
       Short description
     </p>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>
    Every developer may have the different requirement for their program, and therefor the convention for the innertext method differs.

Use the innerText to safely add dynamic text to a Web page. Unlike other properties, innerText does not execute script when inserting text into the Document Object Model (DOM) of a Web page.Because of the flexibility of DHTML, there is often more than one way to accomplish what you want to do. Understanding how the HTML parsing and rendering component of Windows Internet Explorer processes your requests can give you the edge when deciding which methods work best for the job.

You can set this property only after the onload event fires on the window. When dynamically creating a tag using TextRange, innerHTML, or outerHTML, use Microsoft JScript to create new events to handle the newly formed tags. Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) is not supported.