Thread: Dep keeps closing video files in windows media player

Dep keeps closing video files in windows media player

I have installed windows media player 11 on my computer, the problem is when i try open or play any video file it automatically close and the message display DEP has closed this pro gramme. Does any why dep keeps closing video files in windows media player.

Re: Dep keeps closing video files in windows media player

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature included in modern Microsoft Windows operating systems that is intended to prevent an application or service from executing code from a non-executable memory region.DEP is used by windows to stop .exe files running by programs that have suspicious script that can corrupt windows & in turn the possability of openining windows for malicious attack.

DEP is occasionally the cause of software problems, usually with older software. If dep keeps closing video files in windows media player then you can disable it by the following method : right click on my computer > Properties > System Properties > Advanced tab > Performance > Settings > Performance Options > Data Execution Prevention > there are two check radio button select one > Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only is selected.

This problem happens when you try and view a folder with videos,It's not a virus,Select the check box next to the program that you want to turn off DEP for, and then click OK.

I have been having the same problem as neonxgenesis, ie. WMP11 is fine playing music and MP3s, but as soon as I try to load up a video of any kind, WMP11 instantly shuts down, and it states "DEP had closed the programme". I have tried both Vishodhan and Jonathan D's advice to sort out my own problem of DEP closing WMP11, but neither have made any difference whatsoever. I tried selecting WMP11 in the Data Execution Prevention Menu, with the "Turn on DEP for all programmes and services that I select" button selected, but STILL, DEP keeps closing down WMP11 whenever I try to view video.
    Any fresh advice, and is this a frequent problem?

Are you the administrator of the computer or are you just a normal user of the computer? If you are not the administrator, then try logging in as an administrator and check if it works i.e if you are a standard user and want to view a AVI file and it fails, then be administrator and play the AVI file. This is because if the codec has an implementation bugs, it may not operate for non-administrator accounts. Try this, it may work. If you have any more queries do post back.

This behavior occurs because Microsoft Windows XP SP2 uses the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature to help prevent damage from viruses and from other security threats.