Thread: SharePoint and records management

SharePoint and records management

Hello everyone,

I would like to know anybody successfully replicated the functionality of a recognized RM system to SharePoint (SP) if so, how it works?.I am enthusiastic in the hard copy management side of things as I know SP can play around with electronic documents.Am about to determine SP to see if it can replicate the functions of a RM system, similar to Recfind or Trim.When i had a chat with some guys they have set up some basic functionality like file creation, document creation and attachment etc but bit confusing .....or am I just so entrenched in the old traditional ways of managing hard copy that I don't see the light.Guys offer some support for me

Thanks in advance.!!!

Re: SharePoint and records management

Implementing a records management (RM) solution is basically more than simply putting records into a system. It needs that the organization assess what qualifies as a record, when documents will be put in, how they will appear, and when they will be deleted. Improper retention, or the premature disposition of documents, should be avoided yet unnecessary retention must also be reduced.Like any records management solution, SharePoint alone will not cure your wishes unless it is used to support clearly defined processes. Long before choosing your records management solution, it is genuinely essential that you conduct a comprehensive needs assessment and document exactly what you want your solution to do. Only then can you evaluate solutions, implement systems and validate results with any true accuracy.

One of the great things about SharePoint is how easy it is to use. With a minimum of training (and the proper permission set), users can build team sites, Document Libraries, folders, whatever they think they need.SharePoint has been widely adopted by organizations across all market segments,” said David Winkler, vice president of product marketing at Mobius. “This has led to a sharp increase in the number of corporate records that are stored in SharePoint and a corresponding demand for records management solutions that can enforce corporate retention and disposition policies and help ensure regulatory compliance If your organization is planning to standup SharePoint it is incumbent on you to make yourself part of the implementation team as early as possible and insist that the organization develop a logical set of controls that prevents SharePoint Sprawl from ever happening. One of the best things you can do is duplicate what one of my customers did.

We were going into implementing sharepoint at BHPB, on its own it is incapable of bringing the requirements for handling RM functions and or Document Control.Targeting to a product called Meridio to integrate with it and add our required functionality, as our analysis indicated that this combination would tick all the boxes. However a lot has changed over the last 6 months and we are no longer going down that path and we will be implementing a new strategy going forward.