Thread: Outlook .pst File too Large to Manage

Outlook .pst File too Large to Manage

Is it possible to create outlook pst file over 2 gigs? Whenever i try to open my file .pst file which is not more than 2 gigs it gives me an error message. Is there any way to compress this file?

Re: Outlook .pst File too Large to Manage

This problem occurs if you have created outlook pst file over 2 gigs because the .pst and the .ost files have a 2 gigabyte (GB) size limitation, and the error message occurs when it is exceeded. The Inbox Repair Tool cannot correct this problem.

Recovery Limitations of the 2 GB Truncation Utility:
    • You must have 2 GB of free hard disk space (to make a copy of the .pst file).
    • The utility truncates the .pst file to under 2 GB. To have enough working space, truncate the file between 20 to 25 megabytes (MB) less than the 2 GB limit. The truncated data is removed from the new copy, which means some messages are missing from the recovered copy.

Compress Outlook PST Files : Compress Outlook PST files with professional PST Compress Software. Using PST Compress software, users can easily compress or shrink single or multiple Outlook PST archives.PST Compress, is a feature-rich powerful compression utility that let users to compress Outlook PST files. PST Compress software helps users squeeze the size of the Outlook PST files. Software provides three options while compressing the PST files and the options are:

Download PST Compress

Follow these steps to configure the size limit for both the .pst and the .ost files.

• Click Start, and then click Run.
    • In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    • In the left pane, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
    • Expand Software, and then expand Policies.
    • Expand Microsoft, and then expand Office.
    • Expand 11.0 for Outlook 2003 and 12.0 for Outlook 2007, and then expand Outlook.
    • Click PST, and then right-click MaxFileSize in the right pane.
    • Click Modify, and then type the value in the Value data box.
    • Click OK.
    • Right-click WarnFileSize, and repeat steps 8 through 9.
    • Right-click MaxLargeFileSize, and repeat steps 8 through 9.
    • Right-click WarnLargeFileSize, and repeat steps 8 through 9.

john_mayer1981 Guest

Microsoft outlook is a very popular program from Microsoft office and it used as Personal Information manager worldwide. It can also be used in collaboration with Microsoft exchange server and Microsoft share-point server.

Huge PST file start to develop many more complications despite the robust file format (PST). These complications are as follows:

1.Slow performance of MS outlook as it needs to parse huge PST file.
    2.Chances of becoming corrupt due to many reasons which can be a small disk failure or use of any malfunctioning software or virus.

Two methodologies by which we can compress the size of huge PST file.
    1. Activate the compression scheme built in MS Outlook PST file.
    2. Manually remove all your attachments from mails to a separate folder to your disk and remove them from your mails.

If using these two options don't succeed to compress you PST file then use third party tool to compress your huge PST file and to save your PST file get corrupted. I can refer you a useful link to compress your PST file. It is a efficient tool to compress the PST file size using various and useful options.

Jim Chou Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jean-paul martell View Post
    Is it possible to create outlook pst file over 2 gigs? Whenever i try to open my file .pst file which is not more than 2 gigs it gives me an error message. Is there any way to compress this file?
    Hi,
    Hope this may help!

"With the increasingly rapid growth of the personal communication and information, the Outlook PST file, which contains these data, also expand dramatically. Therefore, sometimes we need to split the large PST file into small ones, for any of the following reasons:

Large size of file and large number of items will lead to slow speed in many operations, such as search, moving, etc., so you can split it into small pieces and obtain a more easier and fast management on it.

Outlook old versions (97 to 2002) don't support files larger than 2GB, so if your file reaches that limit but you still want to use it with the old versions, then the only way is to split it into small pieces."

Advanced Outlook Repair can help you to split the large PST file into smaller ones.

Best wishes~
    Last edited by Maqbool; 06-10-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: External Links Not Allowed, Removed The Same.

mohitstellar Guest

You can Split Large PST File above 2GB in size into many small sized pst files by using a suitable PST File Splitter software.

You can also try Compact PST File software which will compress pst file size & reduce its size below 2GB.

If your Outlook PST file has become too large and crossed its maximum size limit then you need to divide PST file into multiple smaller files efficiently using a third party PST file splitter. It splits the file into smaller files and lets you work on each one of them independently without losing any data.

Transend Guest

There is another way to reduce the file size of your pst file by using a attachment management software you can detach or delete the attachments from Email, saves the attachments at a user-defined location in a folder on user’s computer system hard disk or in a folder at network drive and creates the links or text description regarding the location of the processed attachments in their respective Emails.
    By doing so the size of your pst file will be decrease and it will be useful too because whenever your pst file corrupts, all the data or attachments will be safe. You can use Kernel for Attachment Management tool for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jean-paul martell View Post

Yes it is possible we know that the outlook PST files have a size limitation of 2GB, which means the total storage size of user outlook mailbox is up to 2 GB. Even if a user outlook mailbox size is near about the maximum permissible limit, there is every possibility that outlook data storage files may be corrupt. Kernel for PST compact and compress resize the user outlook data by compressing the PST files into single or multiple zipped folders.