Thread: How to make bmp image transparent

How to make bmp image transparent

I have some bmp images which is a paintbrush file. I want to make the images transparent. I had tried it in some image editors but could found proper solutions. I want to that how can I make those pictures as transparent so that I can utilize them as a background image. Which is best software which can help me to do this. I already have photoshop but don't know the steps to do it. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to make bmp image transparent

I had done this in Flash. I am currently using Flash MX. You will first need to get the software. Then do this. Import the bmp in Flash and when it is on layer then select the image. Now select F8 and click on Graphic. It will give many options there. Edit the image as you want and then go the Effect tab. In that select Alpha with 0%. The percentage is when reduced it makes image transparent. You can see the image display. Save the image.

Photoshop is an best option for image editing. I will give you the entire steps to convert the image in a transparent background. To do this first open Photoshop and click on File > New. In windows select the last option Transparent. Then add a layer by Layer > new > layer from the right side menu. Now import you picture and edit it as you need.

Bitmap file does not support transparent. Better convert the image to gif format and then add the transparency effect. By transforming the image to gif the quality will be reduced but you can get what you need. Then get any image editor or use photoshop by inserting the layer and selecting the transparent option. This can be also done in Microsoft Word by pasting the image in it and then editing the image by image properties tool box.

Transparency = gif ( Movies 13) / png (the gimp)

Movies 13 >
    Last edited by Rameez.J; 21-07-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: External link removed.

Actually I have a different problem but I couldn't find right place, so I ask it here, if anyone can help, please...

I use Win7 and fed up with changing file save type from png to jpg everytime I use paintbrush. Does anyone know a way to change default save type in Paintbrush?

Thanks

Hi cuesmer,

You can try to do the following from the below method to change default save type:

1. Save a blank jpeg image, something like, blank.jpg on your computer somewhere.

2. Go to the actual file and lock it as read-only.

3. Right-click the Paintbrush program from the Programs menu to bring up the Accessories menu.

4. In the Shortcut tab you'll see the Target field with a value something like:

%SystemRoot%\system32\Paintbrush.exe

5. After that, put the file location and name of your blank jpg so it will read like:

%SystemRoot%\system32\Paintbrush.exe "C:\path to\blank.jpg"

6. Next time you fire up Paintbrush, it will display that blank jpeg image. You can then do what you need. Save As... will now default to file type JPEG.

Dear Solomon, thank you very very much