Thread: Prevent folder from Read-only

Prevent folder from Read-only

hie,

When I try to access some of the folders on my computer, I get the message saying - the folder cannot be accessed, the folder is protected by read-only. I want to access these folders that are protected by read-only. How can I prevent the folder from Read-only and access the folder ?

Any ideas...

Re: Prevent folder from Read-only

I think, a file is set to read-only cannot be changed. However, rightclick the file or folder and then click Properties. Click the General tab, uncheck or clear the Read-only check box, and then click OK.

Note - Setting a folder to read-only makes all the files in the folder read-only. It does not affect the folder itself

It doesn't make sense to keep entire folder as read-only. You can keep some of the files under the folder as read-only. The "Read-only" attribute is meaningless for folders. When you try to change the read-only attribute of the folder, what you see is a "three-state" checkbox in its third state: grayed-out with a check. This means that the option doesn't Apply here.

Read-only attribute is set to protect the file from writing. You never write to the folder, you always write in the file inside a folder. So read-only attribute for folders seems to be illogical.

Folders in Windows XP can not be read-only. Windows will never display a regular check-mark in the read-only box when you open a folders properties, unless the folder is on a read-only disc such as a CD-ROM. Normally you should see a greyed out check mark or a green square,