Thread: How to Recover An Unsaved Document When Word Crashes

How to Recover An Unsaved Document When Word Crashes

I made some documets a week ago and I forgot to save a few of them. Is there anyway to recover unsaved text in a word document that has been closed? (Pc has been restarted after the loss). I only know how to recover erased files, but this is different since its not a saved document.

Re: How to Recover An Unsaved Document When Word Crashes

Select Tools, Options, Check 'Save AutoRecover info everywhere and provide the interval. Then click on the File Locations tab, Select AutoRecover Files, Click on "Modify..." & provide a location for its to save the files. Or else You can try one of the free recovery programs which could let you recover all or parts of the .doc files as plain text.

In Word, go to Tools, Options, SAve and see if Autorecover is turned on. If it is, go to Tools, Options, File Locations, and write down the location of your autorecover folder. Word creates 'temp' files of the documents you are working on. These are often left on the hard drive even after you delete the original document. Try finding .TMP in your Windows\Temp directory or your Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp directory (or possibly in the directory where you normaly save your files). You can try opening the .tmp files using notepad.

Open the Tools menu. Click Options. Click the File Locations tab. If the space next to AutoRecover files is blank, then your data is lost. If there is a location, go to that location and open the document. By default it is under APPICATION DATA in your user settings. By looking at the default on your system you can determine which folder to look in for auto-saved files. When AutoRecover is turned on, the changes you make are saved at set intervals in a separate, temporary recovery file. Then, if you have to restart Word or your computer without saving your work, Word automatically opens the recovery file.