Thread: How to transfer Quickbooks files to new computer

How to transfer Quickbooks files to new computer

Hi,, i am new to this forum and found it very nice and helpful community. I am here because i was having a Xp computer with lots of my Quickbook data which is been crashed and i dont want to work on that for some reason. I bought a new computer now with the same XP windows. What i need to do now is to transfer all my Quickbook data to my new computer. Could you guys make me know how can i do that ? Thanks in advance..

Re: How to transfer Quickbooks files to new computer

Thats not much difficult. All you need is to make an image of your hard drive from the older computer. Be sure that the image in a virtual machine is bootable. Or Back up the file in QuickBooks and restore it on another computer. The backup file will have a .qbb file extension.You will have to do a 'Restore' on the new computer through the Quickbooks software. You can search Backup and Restore within the Quickbooks help menu to learn more specifically how to do this.

Here is the simple way of transferring Quickbook data from one to another computer.

• Just open your QuickBook application and from the main screen Click "File" in the top menu bar.

• Now from the drop down menu, select Save Copy or Backup. This will open a new Dialog box where you need to click on Backup Copy and press Next.

• Now click on Local Backup and click Next. Now you will see a radio key just next to Save now option. Click the radio key and Click Next.Now locate the location where you want to save the backup file and Click on Save button.

• QuickBooks will now reserve the automated process in motion and each of your QuickBooks data in a single backup file execution. Wait for the backup process to complete before the program closing QuickBooks

• Once the process is completed, take it to any external drive or a CD and transfer it to your new system.

• Now launch the Quickbook on your new system and click on File again and select Open or Restore Company this time from the drop down menu.

• Now click the Restore a Backup Copy and press next.

Thats it... Now follow the simple instructions and you will be done. !!!

Create a portable company file in QuickBooks and restore it on another computer. The portable file will have a .qbm file extension. or Copy and paste the company file using Microsoft Windows commands. The company file will have a .qbw file extension.