Thread: Difference between mpeg 2 and mpeg 4

Difference between mpeg 2 and mpeg 4

I have some file in avi formats which I want to convert in mpeg format. I had converter which shows mpeg 2 and mpeg 4 audio type format. I want to what is the major difference between both the audio codec. Which will give me a better quality result which is easily played in any application. Just by name I can get a basic idea that mpeg 4 is better than mpeg 2. But still need a more clear idea. Thanks.

Re: Difference between mpeg 2 and mpeg 4

It is the video standard developed by mpeg group. As compare to the oldest format mpeg 1 the mpeg 2 had a high bandwith usage. It is an windows movie maker format. It is most commonly used in tv, dvd, blue rays, etc. But mpeg 2 is rare as compare to mpeg 4 in hd world. You have seen most of the normal dvd's in this type of audio formats.

Well I prefer mpeg 4 format because it is the latest version of mpeg codec family. As well start form the beginning mpeg 1 is an fairly enough good audio codec. But not as compare to hd. Then mpeg 2 and mpeg 3. Mpeg 3 is developed for the use of hdtv broadcast specifically. But audio compression, bit rate, bandwidth was not to a level of satisfaction. Then came mpeg 4 which gives you an high end experience of HD world. It supports 3d objects, text, digital programs, etc in the audio and video tracks. It is interactively embedded with video itself. The audio and video quality is superb.

you can mpeg 4 is a new audio compression algorithm that is more advance and different as compare to mpeg 1 and 2. It is also supported by various cell phone. If properly encoded it will give you a great quality sound and video quality. Mpeg 4 movies are scalable. You can explore the content of movie in mpeg 4 format.