Thread: corrupted encrypted docx file

corrupted encrypted docx file

I have trouble opening an encrypted docx file (Word 2007 under Windows XP). The file seems to be corrupted: after entering the (correct) password, i get the message "word experienced an error trying to open this file". The password is correct (entering the wrong password results in a different message).

The "recover text from any file" option from Word isn't any help. It opens the file, but seems to ignore the encryption: the resulting document has a readable header with some info on the encryption used, but the rest of the document is filled with random characters. I would be grateful for any suggestions on how to recover the contents of the file.

Kind regards
    Jos

Re: corrupted encrypted docx file

Solution: shorten the file name.
    Alternative Solution: shorten the file names of the folders above it.

How to fix it:
    For example, if your directory looks something like this.
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\folder\subfolder1\subfolder2\ReallyLongF ileName.doc

copy it to something like this
    C:\subfolder2\ReallyLongFileName.doc

If that doesn't work try renaming some of the folders above it to something like "a" and shorten the name that way.
    Eg. C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\folder\sub1\sub2\ReallyLongF ileName.doc

I providing you a link of freeware tool. Download it an install it. The name of tool is Recovery tool box. It repairs and recovers corrupted files. Only thing you need to do is open your file and save it without password. Save it on the desktop. Run the application and locate the file. You have to ensure that there is no password in the file. As you said that you can open the file but it is unreadable. So just save as the file and remove the password. If you do not know to remove password then follow the instructions otherwise ignore it.
    In the save as dialog box go to tools at the lower left side and click on general options. Remove the password and save it.

Click here to Download Recovery Toolbox

check this and try

* Check the file permissions for the document
    * or drive.
    * Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space
    * Open the file with the Text Recovery converter
    * shorten the file name.

if this not work copy it to another location on hard drive and open it with right click and open option

Thank you all for the suggestions. Unfortunately I still haven't been successful.

Shortening the name didn't work: I copied and renamed the file (to C:\test.docx), but still have the same error. I also double checked all points raised by timon.

I think the problem with the recovery tool is the same as the problem with the "recover text" option of Word itself; for the recovery to work I would first need to remove the encryption, but Word doesn't allow me to save the unencrypted file: typing the correct password directly gives me "error opening file" followed by a new empty document. I think I need a way to decrypt the file without Word trying to parse the XML (this would allow me to save and run a recovery tool), but I have no idea how to accomplish this.