Thread: Clear Content in cell without deleting formula

Clear Content in cell without deleting formula

I have Ms office 2003 in my system. I had formula in some cells. Now what I want to do is to clear the content of the cell without deleting the formula. Like for example I was making a sales report. In cell G1 in had put the formula which gives me an average total. So I want to save the data and remove the figures in the cell. Is it possible to do so. If yes then what are the ways to do the above work.

Re: Clear Content in cell without deleting formula

You can clear contents in the cell of excel without removing the formula and other fomatting done in the cell. Here are the basic steps to do so. First select the cell for formatting. First select the cell or cells which contains the formula or formatting. Then go to Home tab and click on editing. Click on the small arrow next to clear button and follow the instructions.
    • Select clear all to remove all content, comments and formats
    • Select clear formats only to remove the formatting.
    • Select clear content to remove the content only leaving all formatting and comments behind.
    • Select clear comments to delete only comments.

It is possible to remove the contents leaving the formula behind. I have a solution for that. Now to remove the content first copy the worksheet. In the worksheet then press F5. Select special and then constants. Now untick what you want to keep and tick on what you don't want to keep. Give OK. Now got to Edit and click on clear. Select content and hit the delete key from keyboard. The second option you can try is go to tools menu and click on customize. Now click on a tab view. Thing to see is that the zero values is unticked and then highlight the column. After that go to edit menu and select clear all.

It is not possible to remove the contents in a particular cell and leaving the formula behind. You know one thing that when you insert the formula it means the result is coming out from the reference of other cells. An simple example of formula is =sum(a1+a2). And then you hit enter in a3. A3 cell has both formula and content. If I press delete then all is gone. I don't think so weather it is possible to do this.