Thread: Windows Vista error message "scanpst.exe fails with Fatal Error: 80040818 "

Windows Vista error message "scanpst.exe fails with Fatal Error: 80040818 "

I'm using Outlook 2007 on Windows Vista along with a POP3 connection. The problem is that whenevr i try to accces my Outlook 2007 on my system, it gives out an error message stating that " scanpst.exe fails with having Fatal Error: 80040818" been displayed on my desktop screen. It doesn't allow me to access my Outlook 2007 mail box. So, can any body tell me that how can i get rid of the above issue? What can i do in order to fix the above problem on my pc? Does any body knows about it? kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue. any kind of help on the above isue would be appreciated.

Re: Windows Vista error message "scanpst.exe fails with Fatal Error: 80040818 "

I think you should try to remove it using the mail applet, by going in to your control panel or can even simply delete and try to recreate your Outlook profile on your system. Then you need to reboot your pc after deleting your profile, before you create a new one on your pc.

If you want you can try out Outlook recovery tool which is also known as Advanced Outlook Repair in order to repair your PST file. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders and other objects which may have corrupted or damaged Microsoft Outlook PST files on your system.

Outlook Recovery Toolbox is a software product for restoring destroyed or damaged data files of Microsoft Outlook mail client included into the Microsoft Office package. Outlook stores its data in PST or OST files, these files contain messages, contacts, tasks, notes, appointments, and journals. Outlook Recovery Toolbox reads the damaged PST or OST file, identifies and restores information in the file. Outlook Recovery Toolbox saves the recovered information in a new PST file or in several files, each one being maximum 1 Gb large.

nancy86 Guest

Hey Hodge,
    It is very easy ans simple your Scanpst.exe is corrupted. I don't know how but it did. There can be various reasons for this like virus attacks, OS corruption, abnormal termination of system and many more.

As you must be knowing that scanpst.exe is a free utility provided by Microsoft to repair corrupt Outlook PST file. But because of faulty Outlook installation, sometimes it does not function properly or in all situations of errors. It seems that the PST file has got corrupt because of oversize, sudden system shutdown or virus attack.In such circumstances you should use a third party tool to fix the error.