Thread: SP 1 failed to install hangs in reverting changes

SP 1 failed to install hangs in reverting changes

I was installing Windows Vista SP1 in my sony laptop. After the third step I got a error message denoting unable to install sp1 reverting changes. The whole system hanged at that step. I left the system at the point for some hours. I want to ask weather my windows vista sp 1 is corrupted. The installation was incomplete and the system was engaged for several hours. What is the cause for this problem. Any one can determine the reason behind this. I have core 2 processor with 2 gigs of ram, 256 graphic card, gigabyte mobo, etc. I believe that this configuration is enough compatible to run sp1. Please reply. Thanks in advance.

Re: SP 1 failed to install hangs in reverting changes

The error denotes incomplete installation of operating system due to some application running with your old version of operating system. Before installing sp 1 follow the below step to ensure and successful installation.
    1. First before installation check weather trustedinstaller.exe is not disable and is working. If the service is stop the installation will fail. This an windows Modules Installer Service. It is located in C:\windows. It can be corrupted by virus and malwares.
    2. Run windows update. You windows must be update to the current date.
    3. Check out weather your hard disk is healthy. It does not has any errors. You can check it by Disk Defragmentor.
    4. Go to Start Menu > Run > Type cmd. In the command prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.
    5. Run a memory diagnostic tool to ensure that your ram does not has any problem.
    6. If any error occurs between the above steps note it down and check for solutions on Microsoft website.

There are lots of reason behind the bad installation. Always check the hard disk has sufficient space before installation. Scan it for errors. If there are bad sectors then you will need to install the os in different drive. Run windows update. After update go in control panel > add/remove program and in the list look our for the following update. KB935509, KB938371 and KB937287. If it not available then download them manually from the microsoft website. Run disk cleanup to clear all the unwanted files.

Firewall is the main cause of such incomplete installation. I think you had left the firewall on during installation. Very important update your windows. Then turn your firewall and windows update off at the time of installation. Disable all your antivirus, anti spyware or third party firewall and restart your system. Run chkdsk in command prompt. Insert your windows copy cd in the CD/DVD device and then run chkdsk. It fill fix all the errors related to any installation or damage drive.