Thread: Missing Command Prompt

Missing Command Prompt

The command prompt from my system is missing. I checked out the system but still I can't find it anywhere. I was deleting some applications from the start menu folder form documents and settings folder from the C drive. I think I accidentally deleted the dos application. But I know that the shortcut is still in my computer. Just I don't know to way to get it. I will need the application for troubleshooting purpose. So, how can I get it back. Where can I download it.

Re: Missing Command Prompt

The DOS application is still in your system. You can get it from the system folder of windows. Double click on My computer. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32. Now here you see a number of applications and file. Take care that you do not delete anything again. Now click inside the folder of system 32 and press the alphabet c and then m quickly. Do not go slowly. After pressing c press m quickly. Now you see a file name cmd. Right click on that and select option send to > desktop.

I am listing a number of procedure to get the c prompt application back for different OS. Like for windows nt, 2000 and xp. Go to start menu click on run. In the dialog box type cmd and press enter. The command application will run. Same procedure is applicable for windows vista and windows 98 or ME. However if your are using the command prompt application for troubleshooting in windows xp, then to enter directly in the command application restart your system and press F8.

You can also use the third party DOS application instead of regular one. Your application can be recovered easily. Go to start menu and click on search. Type cmd and give search for all files and folder. Look out for the cmd icon and copy paste it on the desktop. Another thing you can download the Command application by clicking below :
    PromptPal
    NetMailBot
    MSI Prompt