Thread: How to uninstall an application under iMac

How to uninstall an application under iMac

I worked with an iMac (20 ", 2GB Ram, 2.66 Ghz, 320 GB DD) for almost two months now, after years with Win XP Pro!

I understand that the uninstall, COMPLETE, an application in Mac was a breeze: drag the file. Dmg of this application in the trash and it was played (really simple compared to the same sub uninstall Windows where there was always something somewhere unless you use some software to uninstall). But finally I have the impression that this is not that simple on Mac.

I installed open office and I'm not sure want to keep it. How to properly uninstall by removing all the elements attached to this application?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: How to uninstall an application under iMac

Actually, no. Save one. Dmg to the trash does not uninstall an application. A. Dmg is a disk image ", a kind of virtual disk. The double-click it mounts a disk on the desktop and is seen by the system as if it were a hard disk.

To Erase OpenOffice for example, go to the Applications folder (in general), drag the application OpenOffice to the trash. But it often happens that applications use other files, including preferences and settings, placed in the Libraries folder \ Application Support or Home \ Library \ Application Support. This is not particularly embarrassing to the system, but the disk clutter. In this case, you can also drag the file associated with the trash.

OK. Thank you for your reply. I actually see that this is less simple than I imagined. What do you think of the "appdelete" which apparently replaces the type of software TotalUninstall on Windows? Having little experience with OS X I am on eggshells!

When too do not understand how Mac applications work, the better to use appdelete ... Easy and efficient!

The alternative is to search with spotlight (magnifying glass on the top right) the application and remove everything it finds

Appdelete but is much simpler!