Thread: internet explorer 6.0 with Windows XP SP3 hangs

internet explorer 6.0 with Windows XP SP3 hangs

I have recently upgraded from Windows XP SP2 to SP3 and I am facing issues with Internet Explorer 6. After upgradation, as soon as I start IE6 and try to open any websites, the browser hangs. I never got this problem when I was using Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP Service pack 2. Is there any solution for it or should I revert back to Windows XP SP2? Thank you

Re: internet explorer 6.0 with Windows XP SP3 hangs

The issue is caused by security update 942615 (MS07-069) which was released in December 2007, which probably rolled out KB942367, which also requires users to manually create and enable the Iexplore.exe registry entry. The problem has been identified by Microsoft, and KB946627 hotfix or patch have been made available to address and fix the error by creating the required registry key.

Download and install the WindowsXP-KB946627-x86-ENU.exe, or use the following alternative manual steps or run registry key file to add the registry key.

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\
    On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
    Type FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB942367, and then press ENTER.
    Right-click FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB942367, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    Type an asterisk symbol (*), and then press ENTER.
    Note The asterisk symbol (*) represents any process name that uses Urlmon.dll. If you want to make this change for an individual application that uses Urlmon.dll, you can use the name of that application instead of the asterisk symbol (*). For example, you can use Appname.exe.
    Right-click the asterisk symbol (*), and then click Modify.
    In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    Exit Registry Editor.

There is another simple solution for it and that is to simply download and execute the iekb942367.reg file to insert the missing registry value. Download it from here.

Internet Explorer 6 stops responding after you install security update 942615 on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service pack 3. To resolve this problem, install the most current cumulative security update for Internet Explorer. To install the most current updates, visit the following Microsoft Web site. Download the 946627 package now.