Thread: sync outlook contacts with gmail

sync outlook contacts with gmail

Hello,
    I want to know a way on how to sync my outlook contacts with gmail? What are the steps involved? Does there is a pop3 access kinda stuff involved? Thank you for any help.

Re: sync outlook contacts with gmail

It is very easy to transfer contacts from Outlook to Gmail. You can try this free Google Calendar – MS Outlook sync utility, KiGoo, a smart product by Kayxo, a reputable OBA (Office Business Applications) solution provider.

KiGoo is a useful sync tool which allows users to manage and synchronize their Google Calendar and contacts with their Microsoft Outlook information manager. This application is free, easy to operate and runs in real time. It is compatible with and supports MS Outlook 2007 and MS Outlook 2003. Using this synchronizing tool, KiGoo users are able to create, read, modify, update and even delete their appointments/activities in their web-based Google Calendar account directly from MS Outlook in real time. Users can also use the same synchronization process to synchronize their contact lists between outlook and Gmail account.

Download gSyncit Trial version from here. gSyncit is a Microsoft Outlook add-in that allows for synchronization of calendars and contacts between Google and Outlook.

gSyncit offers a more complete and robust set of features over products like SyncMyCal, OggSync, CompanionLink For Google, and Google Calendar Sync. If you are considering looking at those products then don't bother. gSyncit does it all! If it gSyncit doesn't have a feature you are looking for then email me your request and I'll be happy to add it to the product if it's something that existing/new users will use.

Features
    1. Synchronize Gmail & Outlook contacts (including photos and groups).
    2. Synchronize multiple Google & Outlook calendars and contact lists.
    3. Synchronize Gmail contacts using Gmail groups.
    4. Advanced calendar and contact sync options.
    5. Synchronize contacts and calendar events using Outlook categories.
    6. Automatically matches entries to reduce duplicate entries.
    7. Supports configurations for different Outlook profiles.

You can also sync Outlook and iPhone with Gmail. A software called Plaxo is used to sync iPhone contacts with Gmail. A little off- topic but very handy.

http://www.technovia.co.uk/2007/08/want-to-sync-yo.html

Quote Originally Posted by electro View Post
    You can also sync Outlook and iPhone with Gmail. A software called Plaxo is used to sync iPhone contacts with Gmail. A little off- topic but very handy.

http://www.technovia.co.uk/2007/08/want-to-sync-yo.html
    Unfortunately, Plaxo's "synchronization" with gmail is very limited. One direction only (gmail to plaxo) and only imports new contacts (doesn't recognize changes to existing contacts). Disappointing, because plaxo's synchronization with outlook is excellent. Thus, not a solution at all.

Plaxo has been promising to improve its integration with gmail for quite a while now, I'm beginning to lose hope.

There are several alternatives, including gsyncit (see above), soocial (http://www.soocial.com/)) , and kigoo (http://www.getkigoo.com). Haven't had time to try any of them yet, nor have I been able to find any good comparisons of the abilities of the three programs.

Quote Originally Posted by team leader View Post
    gSyncit offers a more complete and robust set of features over products like SyncMyCal, OggSync, CompanionLink For Google, and Google Calendar Sync.
    Can you elaborate? What can gsyncit do that Soocial, kigoo and oggsync can't? (I'm mainly interested in syncing contacts, as there are plenty of good options for calendar sync.)

There is a very easy way to sync you all Outlook contact to your Gmail Account. I am giving a step by step procedure :
    1. In Outlook Express Click on File > Import and Export.
    2. Click Export to a file > Next
    3. Click on Comma-separated values (Windows) > Next
    4. Go to Personal Folders > Contacts > Next.
    5. Type a name for the file Eg. Phonenumbers and save it on Desktop. The result file will be Phonenumbers.csv
    6. Now log in to your Gmail Account.
    7. Select Contacts at the left corner. Select Import on the top right corner.
    8. Select on Browse and locate the save file. Eg. Phonenumbers.csv
    9. Now select on Import to start syncing your all contacts to your gmail account.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson2 View Post
    There is a very easy way to sync you all Outlook contact to your Gmail Account. I am giving a step by step procedure :
    Jackson2: This is a great description of how to import contacts into gmail. By "synchronize", I think we mean the ability to maintain the two address books in "sync." In other words, when a change is made to an outlook contact, the new information is reflected in gmail contacts and vice-versa.