Thread: WMC - WMP No Sound?

WMC - WMP No Sound?

Hi

I have a HP Pavillion desktop with XP Media Centre on it. I want to watch the tv I've recorded on this, on my new Asus Notebook.

The Problem:
    After much fiddling I've seem to have successfully set up a wireless home network, and shared the correct folders. On the Notebook I access the tv recordings through 'my computer' right click and select play. It automatically starts up in Media Player 11 (it doesn't have Media Centre on it). The programme will play but there is no sound.

What I've done:
    I've check the music, also listened to over the network and this is fine. I've also played the same tv programme on WMP on the desktop and there is sound. I have tried to update the wmp on the notebook, but it confirmed it was the most up-to-date version.

Can someone help me fix this please?

Many thanks
    Bex

Re: WMC - WMP No Sound?

Make sure your Sound Driver isn't disabled; it may have inadvertently disabled itself during shutdown:
    Go to Device Manager (Start> RightClick My Computer> Properties> Hardware Tab> Device Manager) and right click on your sound driver and choose enable. If not, try updating the driver, which will effectively restore it to factory settings if there's an update available.

If you don't know the name of you Sound Driver, so to Start> Run> dxdiag. Now go to the Sound Tab and any sound hardware installed is listed.

This WMP sound problem seems to be fairly common. Verify your sound settings are correct. When other software programs are installed it's possible for the programs to incorrectly adjust your sound settings causing issues with your sound.

check this thread with similar issue :
    Windows Media Player has Stopped working
    No video, sound only playing WMV in WMP 11, Vista

I think software drivers for your sound device may be missing or corrupted. Try reinstalling the most recent software drivers for your sound device by scanning for updates on the Windows Update Web site or by going to your sound device manufacturer's Web site.

sad Re: WMC - WMP No Sound?

Thank you all for your help - but unfortunately I'm still struggling.

I've checked the volume controls, i've ensured the sound device is enabled, I attempted to update the driver via Asus's download facility for the model i have, although this just ended in no sound at all and so I have rolled it back. I have now sent a message to Asus technical queries. I'm not holding my breath as I've explained I have sound other than playing WMC recordings and yet they've asked for a screenshot of my volume controls!

I'm still desperate to fix this issue, so any new suggestions would be greatfully received.

?? My instincts are drawing me the codecs, but I don't know enough about them. I could be wrong but are they responsible for the type of file that can be played? If so could it be that the codec is missing/corrupt? If so how do I check this avenue out?

Thanks again for your help.

A codec is a device or computer program capable of encoding and/or decoding a digital data stream or signal. and If you feel any codec file would be missing then I will suggest you to Download K-Lite Mega Codec Pack which will be enabled of every possible extension support, before doing that remove all other software related to music or video file.

I eventually tried Asus email support, I can't recommend it, even after giving a full description of the problem they insisted of getting a screen shot of the volume control, then suggested updating some parts of the sound set up. I emailed back to ask exactly which files I should update to ensure I didn't muck it up and got a reply 'Have you read the manual?' Red rag to a bull! I was furious and incredibly frustrated as they were my last resort. I then decided to get in touch with the suppliers of the netbook to see if I could exchange it for a brand where you can get support. Oliver responded on the chat set up, even after it was closed! He was very sympathetic and got to grips with it in no time. With his help and guidance and assistance for you guys I'm finally there.

I tried out codec and fix packs. All but one had failed. The one that worked was from VideoLAN. It runs in it's own player and so far seems to have picture and sound as they should be, although I'll breath a proper sigh of relief once I've had the time to watch a full show on it.

Fingers crossed. Thanks so much for all your help.
    PS: I'd highly recommend oyyy.co.uk where I bought my netbook, they've been amazingly supportive before and after purchased, in fact even when it's not been their responsibility.
    Annnd, nearly forgot, Microsoft have a nifty little gadget to find out which codecs support Windows Media Player and Windows Media Centre it can be found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en