Thread: Need information on aac and ac3 files.

Need information on aac and ac3 files.

I have decided to upgrade my compression formats which is x26. I thought to switch to MP4 container but the idea of using a more advance audio format is tickling me. I want to use a aac standard of audio file to get an more advance experience of audio technology. I also carrying out the idea of converting a ac3 format to aac surround sound format. But not yet succeeded. Someone can tell me that what actually are these types of audio formats. How to convert an ac3 file to aac file.

Re: Need information on aac and ac3 files.

AAC stand for Advance Audio Coding. It is a standard compression and encoding for digital audio. It is part of mpeg 4 standard. It is similar to mp3. AAC files require almost half of the file space as compare to mp3 to acheive the same quality of audio. The apple ipod, iphone, etc supports the AAC audio formats. The area where AAC excels is in low bit-rate compression. AC3 files are the advance codec file of sounds. It is also known as Dolby Digital. It is a perceptual digital audio coding technique that reduces the amount of data needed to produce high-quality sound. AC-3 is a 5.1 format, which means that it provides five full-bandwidth channels, front left, front right, center, surround left, and surround right.

The best way to convert these files is to use a proper file conversion software. I convert aac file using BeLight. The sound is just the good one. No aircrafts, accurate surround panning. However when tried to mux the mpeg 4 file and the aac audio file it does not work. So the solution is that to use a proper file conversion tool to get exact result of what you want.

You can convert aac file to ac3 or dolby digital by nero. The application you will need for this process are:

1. First Run Nero Wave Editor . Open the aac and convert it toa 6 channel, 16bit 48KHz .wav file using the File > Save As option.
    2. Run DVD Lab and choose option Transcode Audio from the Tools Menu. Select the bitrate as 384kbps or 448kbps and transcode it!
    3. Now open the file in BeLight and select AC3 from the the preset menu to encode it.