Thread: Uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader 5x

Uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader 5x

I would like to know that how can i uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader 5x from my system. I'm unabe to find it under Programs files, but still the Secunia Scan shows that the Reader is active on my system. Can any body tell me where can i find Adobe Acrobat Reader 5x on my system? And how do i uninstall it from my system? Kindly help me out to get rid of the above issue.

Re: Uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader 5x

In order to remove Acrobat Reader using the Add/Remove Programs utility, follow the below steps mention.

1. Close Acrobat Reader.

2. Move any documents (for example, PDF files) you want to keep from the Acrobat 5x folder to another folder.

3. Then Choose Start--> Settings--> Control Panel.

4. Then Double-click om Add/Remove Programs.

5. Click on the Install/Uninstall tab in the Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box.

6. Then, Select Adobe Acrobat 5x, and click on Add/Remove.

7. Then Click on Yes in the Confirm File Deletion dialog box.

8. Finally, Click on OK in the Remove Programs From Your Computer dialog box.

You can also remove it manually from your sytem.

Note: By default, Acrobat Reader installs to the Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5x folder. If you installed Acrobat Reader to a different location, modify these instructions accordingly.

1. Close your Acrobat Reader.

2. Move any documents (for example, PDF files) you want to keep from the Acrobat 5x folder to another folder.

3. Then, Restart the computer to ensure that Windows isn't using any of the files you want to delete.

4. Delete the Acrobat 5x folder from the Program Files\Adobe folder. If you can't delete the Acrobat 5x folder (for example, you receive an "access denied" error), go to step 5. If you can delete the Acrobat 5x folder, go to step 11.

5. Then Choose Start--> Run, type cmd in the Open text field of the Run dialog box, and then click OK. The Command Prompt window opens.

6. On the first command line, type cd [path name to ActiveX folder] , and then press Enter. For example,cd C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5x\Reader\ActiveX

7. At the prompt, type regsvr32 /u AcroIEHelper.ocx and then press Enter to unregister the *.ocx files from the computer. For example, the line might readC:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5x\Reader\ActiveX>regsvr32 /u AcroIEHelper.ocx

8. At the prompt, type regsvr32 /u PDF.ocx and press Enter.

9. Then, Click OK in the RegSvr32 dialog box.

10. Then, Close the Command Prompt window, and restart the computer.

11. Delete the Acrobat 5xfolder from the Program Files\Adobe folder.

12. Delete the Acrobat 5x folder and the TypeSpt folder from the Program Files\Common Files\Adobe folder.

13. Delete the Whapi folder from the Documents and Settings\[user profile]\Application/Data\Adobe\Acrobat folder.

14. If Microsoft Internet Explorer is installed, delete the NPDocBox.dll file (if present) and the nppdf32.dll file from the Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins folder or the Program Files\Plus!\Microsoft Internet\Plugins folder.

15. If Netscape Navigator is installed, delete the NPDocBox.dll file and the nppdf32.dll file from the Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\Plugins folder.

16. Then, Delete any shortcuts to Acrobat Reader from the Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop folder.

17. Delete the Acrobat folder from the Documents and Settings\[user profile]\Application Data\Adobe folder.

Here are the steps to uninstall previous version of Acrobat in batch mode:

1) To uninstall any previous version of Acrobat 5.x or earlier you will need to create a batch file that will run the following commands:
    For WinNT(4/5) platforms:%WINNT%\ISUNINST.EXE -f "%Program Files%\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\NT\Uninst.isu""-c""%Program Files%\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\NT\Uninst.dll"

Example:"C:\WINDOWS\ISUNINST.EXE -f""C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.x\NT\Uninst.isu""-c""C:\Program Files%\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\5.x\NT\Uninst.dll"

Note: The above examples use the path for Acrobat Reader 5.x.